How to calculate a P&L in Excel

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by hans123, Mar 2, 2007.

1. hans123

hans123

I have an Excel sheet with O/H/L/C data. I am buying at a close and want to sell only when the close of the next day is higher then the previous close. Otherwise I keep the trade open until there is a higher close coming up. This means I can have a trade open for at least one day, but also for example for five days.

How can I calculate the P&L of every trade?

Thanks.

Hans

2. hans123

hans123

Anyone who can help?

Hans

3. amace840

amace840

attachment

4. hans123

hans123

Thanks, but it's not what I mean. I have attached an example.

Hans

5. not sure whether this is what you need. Try this

Insert three columns between G and H in your sheet (i.e. before the P&L Column)

Add these formulae and copy it down

On cell H2: =IF(G3<>"",0,IF(F3<>"",H3+1,H3))
    On cell I2: =E2-E3
    On cell J2: =H2*I2
    On cell k2: =J2+K3

6. hans123

hans123

Thanks for your reaction. I have tried it , but is not correct.

Anyone else an idea?

Hans

7. One simple solution attached, using the old reliable Vlookup function.

Since you can have multiple trades exited at the close of a single day, yet want to track each trade's P&L separately, I'd recommend having as many Exit and P&L columns as the largest possible number of simultaneous positions you'll ever expect to hold (here 3).

Also, having your Exits (columns G-I) entered manually, rather than calculated, generally isn't the optimal or fastest way to handle it, for larger data sets... but if it works for you, sure, why not. I preserved as much of your original spreadsheet as possible. (Exiting Trade 2, but not Trade 1, on Jan. 8th implies that you're using other rules besides a higher close.)

8. hans123

hans123

The columns F and G were only to explain what I mean. All columns should be calculated in Excel. Column F is no problem. Main problem is to calculate the exit and the P&L.

Any idea?

Hans

9. Hans, example1.xls already calculates P&L automatically.

To calculate exits (yes, a good idea), you'd still need to specify what the exit rules are, consistent with your actual exits. See my earlier comment regarding trades 1 and 2.