How to buy the bottom

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by nutmeg, Dec 22, 2012.

1. kivd

kivd

If it was so stabilized that you could make money on short straddles,
    then the IV would drop cause the premium to drop, so then you wouldn't be able to raise a family selling short straddles.

#11     Dec 22, 2012
  2. aint that the truth, everytime you think you got it figured out, they come up with some way to get you

at the moment I'm long aud and gbp

and short usd and eur

but it's not an easy way to go

and nothing I would recommend to someone just starting out

and the pathetic thing is, my only hope is, "Sooner or later, I will buy the bottom."

#12     Dec 22, 2012
  3. Daring

Daring

No one needs to buy the bottom or short the top, that's just an egotistical naive thought.

You just need to be right on direction.

#13     Dec 22, 2012
  4. Handle123

Handle123

Unless of course you are good at it. I don't look at it at all of selling the highs/buying lows as an ego anything, I have always looked at it as making money. I trade off monthly/weekly in stocks, many stocks have a very long history in the Dow 30 in which I mainly trade, so one learns the personality of what you trade. Whether you go with slope of an EMA for trend or Counter-trend, following your rules is where the money comes.

#14     Dec 22, 2012
  5. Daring

Daring

It can be done occasionally but not regularly otherwise the list of Soros, Rogers, Buffett, and all the great ones would also be known as that + Handle123 :D

Small risk, large reward, high accuracy does not come by frequently.

#15     Dec 23, 2012
  6. sle

sle

I think I have mentioned this one before:
    Picking bottoms gives you smelly fingers

#16     Dec 23, 2012
  7. And, what does picking tops give?

#17     Dec 23, 2012
  8. If depends for what. Examples: 1) cover short at the last bar before the bottoming process, 2) ..., and 3) ....

#18     Dec 23, 2012
  9. That is not enough. There is less frequent than that. Do you want to know?

#19     Dec 23, 2012
  10. true, I was talking about the guys on tv. You can buy this stock, it is very cheap, with very little downside risk (since everybody that owned it already sold it) so what's the point if it's future prospects are not very bright? that's why I say you have to beleive it is going up.

#20     Dec 23, 2012