How to build an Automated Trading System

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by noone3, Jun 14, 2009.

1. ronedawg

ronedawg

They have separate pricing schemes for futures traders using Xtrader and for stock traders. As well they have proprietary modules that will cost extra but are optional.

The base program for Xtrader is 500$ and the base for stocks is 250$. They have a simulator that is available that is always free.

#21     Jun 16, 2009
  2. kxone

kxone

hey noone3, i'm a programmer by training and now a trader. if you need help with programming perhaps i can code it for you. it's a neat way to learn new stuff.

currently i'm also programming my own automated system using my broker's platform. took me only a night to learn the language.

let me know if you need. :)

#22     Jun 16, 2009
  3. Wait???

You're a newbie programmer offering to code someone's ATS? You know that the OP is going to risk money on what you code...

Seriously, you're a retard. And you don't deserve to call yourself a trader. This is a business, not a high school homework project.

Shheeeezzz...

#23     Jun 16, 2009
  4. Here's some advice- before you go and pay someone to program a trading system for you, do this...

Actually learn how to trade.

Seriously... I'm not trying to be a dick here. This could save you a ton of time and money...

the ONLY way you're going to be able to program anything that has a chance of making money is to be able to trade the markets yourself.

Find a methodology or develop your own... something you can execute yourself. Learn to read price action, gauge momentum, and read the market. Once you know what kind of trades YOU are personally comfortable taking... and your win/loss ratio, average net trade, and a multitude of other things, then an only then, maaaaaaaaaaaaybe start to think about automating.

This blog post might help: http://bit.ly/Czybw

#24     Jun 16, 2009
  5. almost forgot... TradeStation's EasyLanguage is something anybody can learn.

With a little time and effort, you can program your own stuff.

If you do it yourself, you'll actually learn something and save some money.

CD

#25     Jun 16, 2009
  6. ronedawg

ronedawg

Im telling you guys, check out www.cyborgtrading.com fully automated strategies, no programming experience or knowledge needed. Build a strategy test it on their sim real time then run it live , simple as that.

#26     Jun 16, 2009
  7. Since I was in my 20s, about 40 years ago, I have had a small trading account. This account grew from studying cycle mathematics in grad school and calculating cycles manually. My trading grew in fits and spurts over the years and is now about 36 times what I started with. This includes going bust 5 times from not understanding the markets first. The strategy I trade today is part of what I traded 12 years ago but is now automated to trade cycles. I was not automated 12 years ago.

During the 12 years it took to automate I still made money trading my manual set of rules. In 9 of those development years I was an IT manager and time was tight. I estimate I devoted a cumulative 6 month’s added up to the project on nights and week ends.

In the last 3 years since retirement I have been 100 percent active in developing my automated trading systems. So when I add up my project time I get 3 years and 6 months full time to get an active automated process that works consistently and pays my retirement bills. I have read in ET in the last few years that others have taken just as long to automate their trading ideas. It is not an over night transition from manual to automation as many believe. See this thread for more detail:

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=161203

#27     Jun 16, 2009
  8. toolbox

toolbox

I'm researching on system building at the moment and my number one requirement is flexibility of use. I believe this is only truly acheivable by building a web based system using ASP.NET or any other decent web technology. Is this be a crazy idea, with regards to security etc? I'mm considering this approach because the client/server approach would require you to install the software on the client machine isn't a flexible enough solution. What are your opinions?

#28     Jun 17, 2009
  9. Bad decisions ;)

Well, not totally so.

It may work, but you will never be as powerfull on the client as with a good program. Which CAN be written, for example, in silverlight;)

But for order entry it may work pretty well ;) Problems go into charting, multiple window management etc.

Main issue: you can accidentally close the browser. A window app can block that (asking whether it is ok). In a webpage you can not block that ;) And handling multiple screens is - not possible.

#29     Jun 17, 2009
  10. toolbox

toolbox

Yeah i just didn't mention this, i will be using silverlight to do the charting etc. main question is if its secure to have a web based system that you can access from any odd pc (probably not netcafes lol).

#30     Jun 17, 2009