How to Blow $12.2 Billion in No Time Flat

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by Error Correction Funder, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Very good book. 1979? Try 1940.

#11     Mar 12, 2018
    Windlesham1 likes this.
  2. zdreg

zdreg

#12     Mar 12, 2018
  3. ironchef

ironchef

I was too dumb.

#14     Mar 12, 2018
  4. ironchef

ironchef

Didn't know it existed at that time.

#15     Mar 12, 2018
    murray t turtle likes this.
  5. SunTrader

SunTrader

Conventional thinking says that.

Why does trying to avoid the big drops somehow mean you also avoid the big rises?

Of course it is not possible to time each perfectly but avoiding big corrections and or crashes does an awful lot for one's returns since it takes a gain of 150% to recover from a 60% decline and so on.

#16     Mar 12, 2018
    murray t turtle likes this.
  6. ironchef

ironchef

Maybe you have better timing ability than some of us.

For us mom and pop retails, timing the market usually resulted in getting out of syn with the market:

http://www.morningstar.in/posts/41071/investor-returns.aspx

#17     Mar 12, 2018
  7. SunTrader

SunTrader

Maybe I do maybe I don't have better timing than some of you. But that link had to do with investors not traders. Traders for the most part follow things a lot more closely than the average joe and ummm here's the key part, or should I say keys to the kingdom part, use stops judiciously.

#18     Mar 13, 2018
  8. Investment is the term we use for trades that went horribly wrong- trade options,use your brains don't rely on dumb luck,because the CO of that corporation you like, will one day get caught with his fingers in the till/lying/having a love child with his secretary/ pleading insanity/ having a 'Russian' holiday

#19     Mar 18, 2018