How to become a stock trader?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Justin534, Sep 17, 2006.

1. schizo

schizo

When I was a beginner, I read that it only requires six months for you to get up and running. It took me six years.

When I was a beginner, I read that it only requires a holy grail to become successful. I have yet to find it after 15+ years.

When I was a beginner, I read that the market is always right, always rational. I have experienced my own rude awakenings. The market is not rational by any stretch of the imagination. It will stay irrational just to the point of your insolvency.

When I was a beginner, I read that fundamental as well as technical analyses will help me open my eyes. Unfortunately, prices are prices are prices. How you want to interpret the price action is up to you, but don't bet your wife and children to what is merely a derivative of that price action.

When I was a beginner, I read that one should actively seek for the advice of others. I have since learned that nearly all advice, both public and private, hinge on bullshit. This also extends to analyst ratings. On that note, perhaps it's best to disregard what I say here because I feel too much crap flies around here that's worth noting.

#31     Aug 22, 2008
  2. The CME has been closed since May since the floor guys mereged onto the floors at the CBOT. The vistior galleries have been closed for some time to the public. However, you could befriend a trader and be taken onto the floor.

#32     Aug 22, 2008
  3. "borrow" 5 grand from your parents. Voila!

#33     Aug 22, 2008
  4. To become a stock trader, you first need to become an investor.

This means trading with the fundamentals, and the macroeconomic / big picture analysis in mind.

#34     Aug 22, 2008
  5. I am also a newbie..I was thinking about this route too. Since I dont have much experience with investing/trading, I was thinking of starting with a long term horizon investing and then gradually reducing the horizon. From what I hear, it seems long time trading/investing is less risky, but also has less rewards. But that seems better than starting swing trading right off the bat and loosing everything I have...

Any thoughts?

#35     Aug 23, 2011