How to become a Congressman?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jem, Dec 4, 2012.

1. pspr

pspr

The problem with that perspective for a politician is that most of the voters are moved by social issues. The national debt is just something politicians talk about but doesn't affect them. They see no adverse consequences happening to themselves as a result of the national debt. Until we see huge inflation or some other issue that effects them in the pocket they are oblivious.

#11     Dec 4, 2012
  2. I see ways to work together Jem. If only others in power could see the light.

#12     Dec 4, 2012
  3. The Social Issues are just nonsense these days. We need to get the Country solvent and responsible, forget the bible thumping, anti gay, bedroom police and all the rest. The young people have, and they are the Future.

#13     Dec 4, 2012
  4. jem

jem

Here is the thing... if the people are motivated by social issues... fine... I just want to get the facts out about the financial issues... I dont really care if I get elected. I like my life the way it is... although the pension would be great.

#14     Dec 4, 2012
  5. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jem, I know you do not like President Obama. But when you say you like the culture of another people, I want to say this.
    President Obama's healthcare is very much like the culture of young people take care of their old people in their family. When they are old they help us to go to school with money they save, and then we cook for them, or drive them to the store, or watch for them to be safe.
    So like Obama's health care, when they young and can make money from their job, they pay some more for the health care. When they are old, no one will take all their money for health care.

#15     Dec 4, 2012
  6. For starters, run in a district where you have at least an outside shot of winning election. Granted, if you try to run in a Republican (or Libertarian leaning) district, the bigger money will back a candidate who has the pedigree (unless of course you can self-finance, like some of the guys with hundreds of millions).

OTOH, if you run in a district that always votes Democrat, you will be able to run, but will get annihilated regardless of how sensible your proposals might be.

#16     Dec 4, 2012
  7. Exactly! One must find a district that isn't totally in the tank for either Dem or Repub, otherwise you're just spinning your wheels.
    This has me remembering when I was asked to run for Mayor of Gary, IN., all as a result of writing a provocative article in the local newspaper. I think it was 1982. I still have the article. When I get home I'll dig it out and scan it. I had written many articles that summer and my phone was ringing off the hook with supporters, and also those that weren't so thrilled. Gary was probably 70% black at the time and changing fast, so I had little chance, especially considering the article that really hit the nerve was about Louis Farrakhan. Had more than a couple calls from angry blacks asking me, hey whitey, how's it feel now the shoes on the other foot? I think if someone did that now and your name and address could be found, you'd probably get killed.
    I coulda' been a contender.:D

#17     Dec 5, 2012
  8. jem

jem

there is a significant cultural difference between taking care of family, and a ponzi scheme with a huge skim by inefficient greedy power lusting politicians.

One culture has been responsible for the misery of bilions... (china and the iron curtain and many other countries) and one has existed since who knows.

#18     Dec 5, 2012
  9. stu

stu

In that case Jem's a perfect contender.

#19     Dec 5, 2012
  10. jem

jem

thats funny coming from the guy who stated he had plenty of proof that life has evolved from non life. and then spent and post after essentially lying about science.

#20     Dec 5, 2012