How to be a Guru in 10 easy Steps

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by TheBestGuruEver, Aug 23, 2009.

1. xenix

xenix

Jury nullification (what y'all is taking about) could have been written out of the constitution.. But it wasn't because they knew that there would be times when a community would believe that the "Law" was simply wrong.

Even the framers didn't trust the government. Maybe they really were all geniuses.

#51     Aug 28, 2009
  2. LMAO ... thanks for pointing out the multiple levels of idiocy involved in this process! :p

#52     Aug 28, 2009
  3. LOL. you guys are funny.

OK, Today's Guru lesson:

Simply post trades like this:

Long 2 ES at 1029.25

Then, after you are done taking a nap or watching TV, post this crap:

Out, +6

Note: I bought 10x normal size (say this if a winner). Of course, if a loser, say "Luckily I only did 1/2 size"

I don't care if there is a time stamp.

It's crap.

Because what the Gurus like to do is give themselves the EDGE every time.

Market rises 3 ticks really quick, so give yourself at least one FREE tick. Sure, nobody can buy with you, but tell them you can teach them how to do it, instead of simply watching the fake crap.

This is even easier than SIM trading.

Then, as soon as you have $200 of fake money locked up, say you put your stop here and will let the other half run.

Simply ask, "LET ME SEE YOUR TRADING SCREEN."

Then watch them scramble.

Ah, technical problems.

LOL

#53     Aug 28, 2009
  4. Followed you up until the BS factor>5 line. How is that calculated, might I suggest SMA(SMA(BS(5, 10,1.5),10,3) the 3 day average of the 10 day average level of BS in the last 10 days for the first 1.5 hours I am on ET;

On backtesting not working, I would say quite the opposite, that backtesting done right does work.

Indicators are more about style than working for everybody. I think just getting a third person to verify your system with a legitimate backtest is enough.

#54     Aug 28, 2009
  5. Exactly. It will be fixed, and I will be notified when it is.

#55     Aug 28, 2009
  6. I totally disagree. No. Not even close.

How about this system, and go ahead and get your "legitimate backtest".

Buy every time DOW above 1,000 and 2,000, 3,000, etc... and then sell around 14,000.

Worked well, huh?

Show us audited results, period.

Remember when the gurus used optimization with their systems?

LOL

#56     Aug 28, 2009
  7. Obviously you can't do that, but using something like a moving average can work well, and I would agree Hershey's system as it was presented needed a bit of modification.

I bet I could fit that, just buy when the 10000 period moving average is 100% away and sell when it crosses over. Don't have enough data but a pyramiding system would have that problem no matter which time frame you were in.

I think the problem here is that the systems in question, particularly Jack's and proflogics have been the same for over 10 years now, so there's not any curve fitting problem as I see it since there's enough of a forward test to be valid.

#57     Aug 28, 2009
  8. Totally agree (I didn't put any smileys in the EL code). Backtesting is absolutely necessary.
    However, most "gurus" will say that their method cannot be backtested. :p

No shit, and how convenient. When one hears the above, it's time to run very phucking fast, for these morons:
    (i). usually lack the necessary skills and/or intelligence to perform even a simple backtest - and don't get me started on modelling transaction costs
    (ii). lack the stats knowledge to interpret any backtest results, perform bootstrap tests, etc.

Oh yeah, but they'll tell all the schleps that their system can only be "forward tested". :D

#58     Aug 28, 2009
  9. One can backtest an idea on thousands of tradables under multiple market conditions in minutes. Forward testing is glacially slow, tedious, and inefficient and there's no guarantee that the market segment you forward test an idea on will be any more representative of future market conditions than the multiple segments it was backtested on.

Thus, backtesting hurts/hinders "gurus" while forward testing facilitates their ability to jerk their followers around. :p

#59     Aug 29, 2009
  10. Guru's always trade price action, since you can't backtest price action.

#60     Aug 29, 2009