How to be a Guru in 10 easy Steps

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by TheBestGuruEver, Aug 23, 2009.

1. xenix

xenix

Why do I get the feeling I'm at grifter school?

I'm kidding. Very informative. Thank you.

#31     Aug 26, 2009
  2. Nah.

Actually you're serious.

That's the whole point of the thread. :cool:

#32     Aug 26, 2009
  3. Kick start your career by making outrageous calls.Like,oh i dunno, spx 998 on the 2nd/3rd sept.Just need to be right once.One advantage is nobody will insist on seeing your trading accounts.
    In fact,might as well make that a solid call... (subject to the market NOT making a slightly higher high,otherwise i reserve the right to make my 2nd,revised outrageous call!)

#33     Aug 26, 2009
  4. Absolutely. Or, do one video calling a top, and then another video going with the trend. Then go back and say "I told you so, I called this, I knew it!!! CNBC was wrong but I am the guru!!!"

What gets me so upset is that the Gurus are so MATTER-OF-FACT, as if they really understand the market and their way of trading is far superior to anything else out there. Then, when you ask about another guru, they bash them to no end.

LOL

A good track record gets you away from the internet guru realm, so they must not have one.

Every guru I knew (I think I knew SEVEN) had very similar characteristics. Crappy method, tried to sell crap without showing actual trading accounts -- all of them -- (they never show the big losing days, which are huge), and they push stuff while leaving out very "important" stuff they keep for their own (it's crap what they don't give out anyone). They then force this kool-aid onto traders and I really think almost 100% fail. Traders with 15k spend 2k on "education". LOL. what morons.

A good guru will buy and sell two very similar stocks or futures contracts and then ONLY show the winner during their seminar. One account for this, one for that...

And tons of people fall for that one.

When they show one winner per month, just imagine what the bad days are...

LOL

#34     Aug 27, 2009
  5. The Jack Hershey Method of Gurudom has proven effective for over a decade:

1. Seek out locations like ET that are teeming with newbies and wannabees who have a desperate need to believe

2. Troll for followers with grandiose claims, both trading and personal

3. Peddle an incomprehensible "method" with its own jargon that can only can be learned from you or one of your stooges

4. Speak in riddles and gibberish to keep followers hanging on your every word and believing their lack of success is because they didn't grasp the full meaning of your "wisdom." This also makes the "method" nearly impossible to backtest... but if you do mistakenly state something clearly enough for others to test it, attack backtesting and whoever ran the tests

5. Constantly berate the "conventional wisdom" and "detractors"

6. Make up success stories about followers who were willing to "do the work" -- even if in reality they went down in flames

7. Never, ever do live trading or show any proof of success (because there is none)

8. Foster a cult-like atmosphere

9. Keep things fresh by promising new things on the horizon that will never materialize, like books and automated trading platforms

10. Find someone to support you so you can play pied piper full time

#35     Aug 27, 2009
  6. Yup, pretty much a perfect description nicely contained within the rule of 10 (somethin that does actually work)

#36     Aug 27, 2009
  7. Actually i can add 2 more to the list.
    11) disappear for long periods of time when you look like getting exposed as a fraud

12)reappear sometime later in a thread filled with potential fresh victims

#37     Aug 27, 2009
  8. Oh, and don' forget the importance of having flunkies and "second in commands" to support your unsubstantiated claims of trading success ... and when you don't have one single person who can show ANY success of trading your "system", just create a sock puppet multiple-alias. :p

#38     Aug 27, 2009
  9. LOL ! This is one seriously phucking phunny thread ! :D

In the words of Fat Tony (the mafioso from the Simpsons): "It's funny because it's true"

#39     Aug 27, 2009
  10. Thanks for the input which I've condensed and added!

Jack, did we miss anything? :p

The Jack Hershey Method of Gurudom has proven effective for over a decade:

1. Seek out locations like ET that are teeming with newbies and wannabees who have a desperate need to believe

2. Troll for followers with grandiose claims, both trading and personal

3. Recruit flunkies and "seconds in command" to support your unsubstantiated claims of trading success... if this is not possible, simply create sock puppets

4. Peddle an incomprehensible "method" with its own jargon that can only can be learned from you or one of your stooges

5. Speak in riddles and gibberish to keep followers hanging on your every word and believing their lack of success is because they didn't grasp the full meaning of your "wisdom." This also makes the "method" nearly impossible to backtest... but if you do mistakenly state something in clear enough terms for others to test, attack backtesting and whoever ran the tests

6. When exposed as a fraud, disappear until it blows over... reappear later in a thread filled with potential fresh victims

7. Constantly berate "detractors" and the "conventional wisdom"

8. Make up success stories about followers who were willing to "do the work" -- even if in reality they went down in flames

9. Never, ever do live trading or show any proof of success (because there is none)

10. Foster a cult-like atmosphere

11. Keep things fresh by promising new things on the horizon that will never materialize, like books and automated trading platforms

12. Find someone to support you so you can play pied piper full time and not be distracted by trivial matters like having to earn a living

#40     Aug 27, 2009