How to Avoid Getting Whipsawed in Chop?

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by macattack, Dec 13, 2012.

1. pemully

pemully

I think MAE can help you decide where to put a stop loss without affecting profitability. any stop above 1.5ATR is sufficient to avoid getting stopped by noise.

I like to sleep well.For me not to use stops I'd have to risk less than 0.5%

#31     Dec 23, 2012
  2. Redneck

Redneck

A range forming on the trading TF – is simply a pull back – or potential turn – on a higher TF

So to help define the chop/ range you may currently be in – take what you know – and use it as a comparison

Yesterday’s H/L
    A previous bar / or series of bars – already closed
    Previous swings – minor and/or major
    Time

eta; what's that ditty about NRB's/ WRB's leading to each other - they always do doncha know

====================================

Trading is always much ado about the relatives….

Well except, of course, when using stops – that’s an absolute

but hey don’t let me sway yer thinking on stops – the mkt will more than take care of that one – in due time

RN

#32     Dec 23, 2012
  3. BSAM

BSAM

The two best ways to avoid chop:

1. Don't trade.

2. Limit your number of daily trades.

#33     Dec 23, 2012
  4. BSAM

BSAM

If a person day trades, he will use stops or he will be looking for other employment.

There's only two kinds of people in the world who refuse to use stops:
    The lucky.
    Those who used to trade.

#34     Dec 23, 2012
  5. You need to include a third category of people in the world who day trade without stops:

Those who do not use stops to take a loss.

If you are day trading, you are in front of your screens, right? I mean, what are you doing while you are in a trade? Sitting and waiting for your stop loss to get hit? LOL

If you are day trading and as a rule you use a stop loss to exit a bad trade, you really need to improve. Unless trading is just a hobby for you.

#35     Dec 23, 2012
  6. BSAM

BSAM

You don't use stops to "take a loss".
    You use stops to protect your account.
    When you get into a trade, you either watch it go your way or you take your stop loss.

#36     Dec 23, 2012
  7. You don't use stops to "take a loss" but you "take your stop loss." Hmm. One or both of us has had too much eggnog.

#37     Dec 23, 2012
  8. Daring

Daring

I think he meant no fixed stop loss.

As in watches the market when he feels hes wrong, he closes the position, instead of letting the market close it for him.

#38     Dec 23, 2012
  9. Exactly. "mechanical" stops can kill you.
    Wider stops help to avoid the whipsaw scenario.

#39     Dec 24, 2012
  10. Wider stops are fine if you are going for either wider profits, or have a very high win %.

Just having a wide stop for no reason leaders to wider draw downs.

#40     Dec 24, 2012