How to apply Brooks' PA?

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by Alfing, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Alfing

Alfing

Hi everyone!

Recently finished reading Brooks' Reading Price Charts. It was not easy but I made it.

Next question is how to apply it to trading? What have you found helpful in Brooks' approach? How do you apply it to your trading?

If you did not find it helpful, what do use instead?

Brooks recommends to start with this,

"Here are some possible reasons for entering a trade (remember, you need two or more):
    • Reversal bar
    • Good signal bar pattern
    • EMA pullback in a trend, especially if two legged
    • Breakout Pullback
    • Breakout Test
    • High/ Low 2 or 4 (there must have been a prior trendline break if fading a strong trend)
    • Failure of anything: Prior High or Low, flag breakout, reversal from an overshoot of a trendline or a trend channel line, 5 tick failure"
    Succesful trades to everyone!

2. Sadly, you just wasted your time.

traderslair likes this.
  3. padutrader

padutrader

no i do not agree
    but Brooks does not spoon feed and you have to use a considerable amount of judgement in the application of his techniques.
    you do not need to read the whole book but only the sections on signal bars.

4. padutrader

padutrader

i have heard of one tick failure which is quite powerful when used in the right context...but not 5 tick failure

5. padutrader

padutrader

you could add 'gap bar' which is also a good set up.
    Brooks mainly scalps which is not surprising since a set up on a 5 min does not usually go very far,unless some alignment with a bigger time frame took place : however, it is usually quite enough to make a living.

6. padutrader

padutrader

i have also found two bar reversals to give some good trades.

7. padutrader

padutrader

i think you have to know direction first and then wait for set up which will then allow you to control risk.

8. padutrader

padutrader

i first read that book a long time ago and am now re reading it
    this time around it is a lot easier to understand what he is saying...but i have a few years experience in trading now.
    his book is not meant for inexperienced traders or traders who are looking for a rule based system to trade.

9. Alfing

Alfing

How so? Have you found something better?

10. padutrader

padutrader

i just entered this trade...a break out, pull back trade, what Brooks calls a ' failed failure '

a risk reward of 1:2
    ab.png

#10     Jun 20, 2018