How Tiger Woods plays golf (from Wikipedia)

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Cruzan, Mar 25, 2007.

1. You're a moron. Can you spell that out, too?

#11     Mar 25, 2007
  2. From the post "And..."??????????????

Let me spell it out for you guys. I WAS LOOKING FOR THE OP TO ADD SOME COMMENTARY. That's all. Now let it go.

#12     Mar 25, 2007

3. Opinions Vary! :)

#13     Mar 25, 2007

4. No Added commentary needed...How many times do I need to tell you this until you finally get it?

#14     Mar 25, 2007
  5. WOW, I hate to have to say it, but you truly are stupid, aren't you? All this because I posted "And...", wow...

#15     Mar 26, 2007
  6. His take on the Buick trade, is millions. So he made out well on the trade, so did Buick. Isn't the trick not to be influenced to buy a Buick if it's really not in your best interest.

#16     Mar 31, 2007
  7. Let's "delve" into this. Tiger picks the tournaments his game has the best chance of winning.

My buddy, an ex pba bowler, yes bowler, made his first trade today in my account. Granted, 50 shares. (I was kinda tired of him dropping into my office talking about trading, I decided maybe he should trade instead). So he makes the trade. Then points to my tennis rackets....we talk tennis, bowling, then golf.

He brings up that tiger picks his tournaments carefully. NO HE DOESN"T PLAY AS MANY AS MOST PROS.

He plays the majors, and when he plays lessor tournaments he plays the one's he has the BEST chance of winning. He doesn't go to play, he prepares to win.

So, what does this mean for your trading. First, find out how you trade best. What setups and price action do you like? Next, find a way to identify that setup each day (or whatever your timeframe is...i am a day trader....I leverage 50:1 during the day most times, and go home with positions no more than 2x my equity generall). THEN, prepare yourself to take those trades that fit your personality. These are the ones you have the most chance of winning (aka managing them well, closing them well, etc).

I know that wasn't very eloquent, but that's what I learned from Tiger for trading.

Peace.

#17     Mar 31, 2007
  8. GREAT POST!!!

#18     Mar 31, 2007
  9. I appreciate the point you're trying to make (pick your spots and play to your optimal skill set, which is great advice) but I do not for a second believe that Tiger's game is somehow 'more suited' to one course or another. His game is the most complete in history. Its only weakness is his driver and he could hit 3-wood off the tee on all 18 holes and clean any field on any course.

Tiger's schedule is dictated by his other committments, his international playing committments, and his focus on majors.

Tiger IS the PGA Tour. It wouldn't surprise me if he was sick of making millionaires out of so many PGA Tour bureaucrats. Tiger does not need the PGA Tour. They need him. He sits out the lesser tournaments because he can.

To sum it up, I agree with everything you said, except the idea that Tiger is an example of an athlete (or trader or whatever) that takes this approach.

#19     Mar 31, 2007
  10. Well you have your first right to disagree. I believe the best professional athletes in individual sports pick and choose, as much as they are able to, the places/courses they play best. Golf, tennis, etc.

Your statement that Tiger IS the PGA tour is somewhat hyperbole. The PGA tour was around long before Tiger and will likely be around long after he is gone. While his dominance is a bonus, they don't need him to survive as a business. Sponsors will always want to use sports tv as a venue for advertisement, and athletes will always compete for those dollars.

Most athletes I have spoken with agree with the idea of picking and choosing. Maybe you could ask Pete Sampras why he didn't play the Australian Open much, doubles, or Davis Cup? He point blank said his focus was to be #1 in men's singles, and those extraneous events (even on Major) took away from his ability to put out the performances that would get him there so consistently. I think if you look at his comments you will find what I said to be true.

#20     Mar 31, 2007