How the hell do you get 250K anti nuke demonstrators?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ChkitOut, Mar 27, 2011.

1. I mean, seriously.. wtf? You'd have a hard enough time
    gathering that many people to protest wars, world hunger, and civil rights. Crazy i tell ya.

More than 200,000 Germans march against nuclear power

BERLIN (AFP) – An estimated 200,000 people took to the streets around Germany Saturday to protest against nuclear power, upping the pressure on Chancellor Angela Merkel on the eve of a critical state election.

One of the organizers Ausgestrahlt said 250,000 people took part in demonstrations in four major cities marching under the banner "Fukushima Means: No More Nuclear Power Stations.".

Marches took place in Hamburg, Cologne, Munich and the capital Berlin ahead of the vote in wealthy Baden-Wuerttemberg state on Sunday at which nuclear energy is set to be a key issue.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/germanydemopoliticsenergynuclear

2. cstfx

cstfx

I'll see your 250k and raise you another 250K:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/mar/27/anti-cuts-protest-police-arrest-200

More than 200 protesters are in police custody and a clean-up operation is under way after anti-cuts activists smashed shop windows in London's West End and clashed with riot police following Saturday's peaceful TUC Hyde Park rally.

Union leaders condemned the actions of several hundred people not associated with the main rally who wreaked havoc along Oxford Street, Regent Street and Piccadilly, targeting shops and banks, cracking windows, throwing paint and hurling missiles including, said police, lightbulbs filled with ammonia.

At least 84 people were injured, including 31 officers, 12 of whom required hospital treatment for "relatively minor injuries". The day ended with late-night confrontations between police and around 300 demonstrators, who converged on Trafalgar Square where they were contained until the early hours.

The TUC general secretary, Brendan Barber, said he "bitterly regretted" the violence that occurred away from the main march and rally, which had been attended by "between 250,000 and 500,000" and was hailed a "fantastic success".