how the catholic church turns off young people.

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Free Thinker, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Brass

Brass

We're both equally qualified to discuss the imaginary. Why either of us would bother is another matter. If you wanted to worship unicorns at school or in the workplace, or wanted the laws of the land to be governed by unicorn edict, then our discussion would become more heated.

#21     Apr 17, 2012
  2. The church is "tolerant" of gays. They just ask "gays" to abstain from sex.

#22     Apr 17, 2012
  3. Wallet

Wallet

Hummm.... I wouldn't be surprised at a poll showing that, as I believe that the majority of those professing to be Christian are anything but........ Darkening the doors of a sanctuary once or twice a year, tossing a buck or two in the plate, heck just the fact of going every week doesn't make one a Christian.

Don't worry FT, You Stu, et al are just helping to fulfill prophecy...... You'll find Jesus describing the last days as like the "days of Noah". Interesting that He would use someone you say is a fable...... really search for the meaning of that phrase "days of Noah" and all it implies, hint you'll have to get past the Sunday School elementary theology to really understand it.... but in doing so you'll get a clear picture of the "shape of things to come"

We gotta get there..... so keep preaching!

#23     Apr 17, 2012
  4. 377OHMS

377OHMS

I am not a religious man. I essentially believe that the Universe is nearly if not perfectly chaotic and causal.

But if the world keeps going like it is with stupid people propagating at higher rates than smarter people we're all going to end up back in the dark ages responding to an iron bell and living in superstition and ignorance.

The technological culture we've built is so fragile and easily disrupted that it won't take much to bring it all down. A small meteor or maybe Pakistan lobbing a few nukes is about all it would take to put us back to medievel times at best or the stone-age at worst.

All of our "just in time" practices regarding food production and distribution, fuel production and distribution and our dependence on central power generation will work against us.

Then life will center on the church again.

#24     Apr 17, 2012
  5. if you had the knowledge of the bible that you think you have you should know that jesus was expecting the "last days" in his generation. he was wrong.
    every generation since then has been sure theirs was the one when jusus would return. how much would you bet on a prophecy that had failed 200+ times in a row?

The notion that faith in Christ is to be rewarded by an eternity of bliss, while a dependence upon reason, observation and experience merits everlasting pain, is too absurd for refutation, and can be relieved only by that unhappy mixture of insanity and ignorance, called "faith."
    -- Robert Green Ingersoll

#25     Apr 17, 2012
  6. stu

stu

You don't know there is no such thing as true scotsman or a true christian? But when imaginary Jesus conforms to what YOU believe, then I will know what "He" wants. Got that.
    But if you don't mind, I'll just keep thinking for myself.

#26     Apr 17, 2012
  7. Wallet

Wallet

Jesus wasn't referring to "His" or the "current" generation when he said "this generation" shall not pass.....

The word here "generation" ge-ne-ä' can also be translated "Race" and should be the proper translation as this was in reference to the prior parable of the fig tree given by Jesus. The fig tree is symbolic of the "Nation of Israel " Jesus is stating that the "Nation of Israel" shall not pass until His will, all things are fulfilled, the destruction, genocide of the Israel Nation has been attempted several times throughout history, Pharoh, Haman all the way through Hitler with one coming that will make all the others look like child's play...... description of the end times is given in the prior verses.... ending with the abomination that causes desolation, immediately proceeding Jesus' second coming.

Sorry don't have time to correct your following posts that will try to point to past historical events that supposedly fit the texts here....... this is an event that's yet to happen, but is coming quickly as the worlds fiat banking system teeters on collapse, ushering in a one world global banking/clearing system ......... watch for the one who finally makes a peace treaty between Israel and Muslim community, I say it only lasts 3 1/2 years.

#27     Apr 17, 2012
  8. nice rationalization. let me ask you a question. so jesus is god and god is all knowing and yet he could write a simple passage in his book clearly enough so that his followers couldnt argue over the translation?

but keep it up. its amusing watching bible thumpers rationalize nonsense and then claim there are no inconsistencies in the bible.

Robert G. Ingersoll: The inspiration of the bible depends on the ignorance of the person who reads it

#28     Apr 17, 2012
  9. stu

stu

"The church" long obsessed with all forms of sex, asks people to abstain from a particular image of God they were made in. Getting a bit above themselves with that message.

#29     Apr 17, 2012
  10. Lucrum

Lucrum

True story that happened just this morning.

We're taxiing onto the runway for take off in a small single engine plane.
    The guy in the back seat starts praying out loud over the aircraft's intercom
    "Jesus bless this flight bla bla bla". Not 20 minutes into the flight the other guy in the plane asks that same guy in the back seat how things were going lately. He tells how he and his girl friend had been broke up for 9 weeks now. I barely had time to assume in my mind he's single when he then mentions how his wife is happy about the break up. I'm thinking to myself "What the Fuck!" I thought for a moment he was kidding, then as he continued I realized he was dead serious.

#30     Apr 17, 2012