How should a small investor prepare for future falling markets?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by lojze, Mar 5, 2017.

1. %%
    Well, ET180-200; i heard+ think its true--some were cut in Social Security, 2017[ + no cost {ss} of living raises-low gas price]- that Is the best way to do it --cut everything. I sure do NOT invest/trade just because a CPA likes it ,, or the gov gives tax breaks.LOL-LOL Besides, 5 CPA's will give 5 different answers, in many cases, so you still have to use your discretion. Last i heard over 50% have stocks- mutual funds, besides bankers do lobby well, usually. I remember Money Magazine did a real complex 1040 tax return with about 50 CPAs + got 50 different answers ..................................................

#31     Mar 7, 2017
  2. ET180

ET180

I have a good CPA, but I never consider the tax implications of my trades other than trying to defer capital gains in the future by taking losses to offset gains as much as possible. Trying to find profitable trades is challenging enough. I'd rather pay a tax on a profit than get a deduction on a loss.

Regarding your comment about how social security will be modified, the only thing I know is that logical or fair won't be a consideration at all...it will come down to votes. If you end up in a wealthy minority, don't expect to be treated fairly or favorably. In a populist democracy, other people essentially decide your rights and what you get to keep.

#32     Mar 7, 2017
    murray t turtle likes this.
  3. Overnight

Overnight

This may be the wrong place to start this tangent, but let me tell you something about "social security". There is nothing fair about it at all.

Why does the US gubment think that a compulsory insurance plan is a good idea? I mean, when I get a job, I am not given a choice to opt out of retirement or disability payments into the system. Is that just?

Oh wait, that's now also Obamacare. And can I opt out of the system and get back the money I paid into it? No. If I make a claim on disability, and the judge denies me, can I get the money back that I paid into the system? No. Can I take out all that retirement money I was forced to pay over the years, and invest it in what I think will generate a better return? No.

Why?

Ummm....Because that is the way it is. Pay your taxes you frog. You cannot make smart retirement decisions on your own. We, the US gubment, why, we'll take care of it for you!

Love the gubment, for they certainly love you! So long as you don't have two brain cells to rub together to make mental fire.

#33     Mar 7, 2017