how secure we are?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by Bob111, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Bob111

Bob111

reason, why i ask this question:

when i left my desk on 2 pm on friday, i SUBMIT stop limit GTC order @ 22.90 and Election Price 22.85 buy to cover my short. today, i open my TWS and i see NOT TRANSMITTED ORDER to buy @ 22.6. with Election Price 22.6.
    how it can happend?

#11     Jan 19, 2003
  2. Ninja

Ninja

Actually I don't know.

So did you start this thread, because you have installed a third party software where you entered your IB account name and password and now you are concerned?

#12     Jan 19, 2003
  3. Bob111

Bob111

i did not run such software, but, what i see-is really concern me. i will try to figure out on tuesday, but we all know IB CS)))))

the problem is- such thing can be in any soft, that you ever install on you computer. what i trying to find out -is anyone ever suspect this? keylogger samples all over the place, and if you have enough knowlenge, evereone can create it. i do experiment with such things somethimes))))))))) and believe me, antivirus software did not detect them))))

will clean up all my machines, reformat all drives, change passwords and loggins, looks like lot work for long weekend))))

http://www.planet-source-code.com/v...lVariables=TRUE&lngWId=1&optSort=Alphabetical

#13     Jan 19, 2003
  4. svsv

svsv

Your only safe bet is that you don't use a computer and you trade on the floor:)

#14     Jan 19, 2003
  5. Ninja

Ninja

Cool! Thanks for the link ;-)

Never had such an experience.

I use a dedicated PC for trading, online banking and such things. On this machine there is only software installed which I need for these things + AntiVirus and a Firewall. I even do not check my mail with this machine. BIOS + Power-On-Password are set. I hope that I am secure.

#15     Jan 19, 2003
  6. Bob111

Bob111

:D :D :D

#16     Jan 19, 2003
  7. def

def Sponsor

bob111,

Did you use a trailing stop?

You say "we all know about IB CS" but they are getting a bad rap just for the sake of it. Have you tried sending in a mail to CS with your order info and ask them to look at the audit trail?

ofcourse, if you are using third party software to enter an order, you can't expect IB CS to tell you what happened (other than to provide the info from the audit trail).

You need to start your TWS independently of 3rd party software. If you are concerned about them reading your password, start up the TWS before you start their software. If you are worried about trojans, don't use any vendor that isn't reputable and has a good track record.

#17     Jan 19, 2003
  8. Bob111

Bob111

thank you Def!

#18     Jan 19, 2003
  9. I am beginning to think this is the only prudent way to operate. I think it is a good idea as well to have different email addresses for brokers, etc and general use and separate them by machine. Now if you do all this but run the pc's off a single cable modem through a router, does that create a vulnerability?

#19     Jan 20, 2003