how secure we are?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by Bob111, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Bob111

Bob111

Hi!
    if you use third party software, which requre you to provide password and login in order to connect to TWS for example, there is possibility, than developer of this software can gain access to your account...
    quotetracker, metaserver...etc..is any reason to concern about it, before you use or not? or you use it at you own risk?
    thank you!

2. although I always am afriad of that type of thing LOL

3. qdz2

qdz2

My friends do not put too much in a basket like this. Actually not any basket if you cannot tolerate a severe damge.

:p

4. Ninja

Ninja

This is not a feature of IB's API. Which doesn't mean that a third party software couldn't do this but not through the API and I also don't know any software which does this.

5. qdz2

qdz2

You see, that's a problem. There is no security level in API. If you connect, you have all and can do anything.

6. Ninja

Ninja

So where is the problem and what types of security level do you want? :confused:

The only problem I have with that is that it would be nice to connect to IB's server without TWS. That would be nice for automation...

7. Bob111

Bob111

lets say i offer you great charting software, but you need to connect to you IB TWS, as you log on, also i will add little trojan, which will remember everything you type, after new login window pop up. after you connect my programm to tws, my soft will send your login and password to me. maybe it will be impossible to get money from acc, but it will be definitely possible to make trades from your acc.))))))
    can this be a problem?

8. qdz2

qdz2

Need different authentication to do different jobs. The authentication does not compromise each others.

9. Ninja

Ninja

Yes of course, but I don't need your software to have a trojan on my PC. Trojans are a general problem and I can't see why IB's API has a problem here, because they simply don't offer the possibility to connect to your IB account through the API.

IB created the API so that people can write their own software or use commercial third party software to TRADE. And you need full access for that. The API was not created to just receive market data for a charting software. They are no data vendor and thats why they limit us to 40 symbols at any time. So there is no need for a read access if that is what you mean.

10. Ninja

Ninja

What kind of different jobs? Do you mean receive data, trade, etc.? Please see my post above.

#10     Jan 19, 2003