How secure are FDIC / SIPC protection?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by a529612, Nov 12, 2007.

1. When the credit market is in distresss and banks and brokers are hit by subprime mess left and right?

2. FAST.AM

FAST.AM

FDIC IS VERY SECURE.. IT BACKED BY THE GOVERNMENT. FOR MAX 100K

IF THE GOVERNMENT CANT BACK YOU, THAT WILL MEAN THERE IS NO PLACE LEFT ON THE PLANET THAT CAN PROTECT YOU..
    YOU WONT NEED MONEY ANYMORE AT THAT POINT.. BETTER GET YOU BO AND ARROWS READY TO GET YOUR DINNER

3. For those of us with over $100K, we'll lose everything except $100K.

4. That's $100k for cash and $500k for other assets like stocks, etc. right?

5. kny3

kny3

Yup. Most firms have "excess SIPC", that's insurance from 3rd parties, not covered by SIPC. That could be interesting too.
    Cash & positions can be ties up for days, weeks or months if SIPC steps in. So you are insured but you don't want to be involved in one of these.

kny 3 :cool:

6. kny3

kny3

Maybe not. Depending on what's left over, you may get $0.60 or $0.92 on the dollar for amounts over $100k. But they may have to sell the assets, that could take months or a year or two.

kny 3 :cool:

7. Aok

Aok

I believe more in my bow and arrow than I do in the govt covering me for their loss. :D

8. What if you have positions that must be closed, e.g. expiring options, and you can't while your broker is going under and SIPC is taking over?

9. Give me a shot gun, a rifle and a 4 wheel drive, and a country boy can survive!

10. doubled over laughing

#10     Nov 13, 2007