How safe is it to be online without a firewall/antivirus

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by romik, May 17, 2006.

1. Bob111

Bob111

i'm using it on my son's computer. not to see who is coming from outside, but what program is trying to go on web from inside. works for me :D

#21     May 17, 2006
  2. Why ? antivirus software consumes cpu power ? make lag ?

Thanks for the explanation

#22     May 17, 2006
  3. tomcole

tomcole

#23     May 17, 2006
  4. #24     May 17, 2006
  5. This sounds a bit like playing Russian Roulette.
    Better get yourself a hardware firewall up front. This should not slow your traffic in any significant way.

This is much safer than to try catching the crap after it's in place. In fact most popular software tools miss a lot of dangerous stuff.

I'm not sure about your IE Clean soft. If it only cleans IE, it wouldn't do much good at all.

Don't forget that hardware firewalls are still no absolute guarantee against attacks. However, if you would only run a hardware firewall without any other protection software, you already did most of the job.

nononsense

#25     May 17, 2006
  6. romik

romik

sorted, it was anti virus interference, firewall still on.

#26     May 17, 2006
  7. cmaxb

cmaxb

I don't have a firewall or anti-virus, and I've never been hacked. Since Windows 95. I do turn off most services however.

#27     May 17, 2006
  8. fildi101

fildi101

Interactive Brokers TWS works on a Mac.. safer and more stable as a trading platform..(though you'll most likely need a PC on hand as well for charting and analysis.)

#28     May 17, 2006
  9. alanack

alanack

This sounds good... could you be more specific on how to tighten up the browser security settings? Thanks.

#29     May 17, 2006
  10. Yes antivirus software will run in the background and will slow your computer down.

A good thing for everyone to do is press control/alt/delete. Then check the processes tab. Any exe. that looks fishy you can google and see if it should be disabled.

In general the less programs running on your computer the faster the computer will be.

I worked at one of the Chicago exchanges as a tech support for traders. You would be amazed at how many running processes some traders would have!!! They would call us(exchange) complaining that their order was slow or their quotes were slow. Almost 100% of the time they would have norton running in the background or they would have 40-50 processes running on their computer.

#30     May 17, 2006