How safe is it to be online without a firewall/antivirus

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by romik, May 17, 2006.

1. romik

romik

Hi,

I might be having a problem between Norton firewall/antivirus and trading platform. The broker advised to disable the firewall while trading or allow a certain port.

My question is whether it is safe to disable the firewall if Outlook Express is switched off and no IE open?

Does anyone know how to allow a port in Norton Firewall?

Thank you in advance.

Romik

2. just make sure that it is not blocking the trading program, and the program is being "allowed" to communicate through the internet.

it's safe until you get attacked. if you're behind a router, and you're not the DMZ, you should be okay. that only prevents direct attacks from the internet. not from anything weird you downloaded from sites you visited.

3. inCom

inCom

Don't do it. Don't diasable the firewall for more than a few seconds just to perform some quick test.

If you have to allow for some ports, then do it in the most restrictive way as possible (I don't know Norton AV/F), for example only for specific programs or source sites.

Maybe you better require help from a technician to do it.

It happens to me every now and then to have to reinstall computers from zero. A couple of years ago, when I connected to the ADSL line without firewall-antivirus in place it took around 20min to start to receive attacks. Today, you have your machine pinged in seconds after you connect.

GS

4. romik

romik

Thanks for the reply. I checked and it is not blocking the X_T, funny thing is the broker told me that quotes went static on MB Trader due to my ISP, but I do use another quote soft and it is always on, I never had any problems with it stopping the quotations. X_T though seems to just stop at the most critical times of the day. Now if that was down to Firewall conflicting with X_T, my immediate thought would have been that this s... would be happening constantly and not sometimes. I am so frustrated at the moment.

5. lp3yc

lp3yc

Last year I reformatted the trading computer. By mistake I left it connected to the modem. Within 10 seconds of having finished installing XP pro ( Old version with firewall disabled) it was infected.

Unbelievable

6. Sevenout

Sevenout

My pc has...

No anti-virus
    No Firewall
    No pop up blockers
    No router (Verizon EVDO)
    No XP (Win2000 pro)

Then I use "IE Clean" software ($50)
    and set my browser real tight.

The result will be a lean very fast system with no viruses, pop-ups, or spyware. I have 3+ years running like this with zero problems.

7. WD40

WD40

I bet your system runs a lot faster too.
    Thanks for the tip.

8. not, use either the build in XP firewall or use a hardware firewall, preferably with SIF.

Alternatively you may select another firewall, try sysgate or kerio.

Maria

9. what is ieclean software-how do i get it? Thanks

10. A question for the computer whiz kids: I use a Actiontec ADSL wireless router with built-in firewall and anti-virus software on all machines. This is the only protection I have protecting my network/computers.

Is this sufficient to protect against online threats?

P.S. I'm not one for downloading/accessing files I am not 100% sure about :D

#10     May 17, 2006