How Safe are Interactive Brokers?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by LordMelbury, Nov 25, 2007.

1. You are incorrect about the US protections. Securities accounts are insured up to $500K by SIPC. IB sweeps any funds not needed for your overnight futures margins into your insured securities account every night.

Refco was a pure futures broker which means they didn't have such an arrangement.

But beyond that I don't believe retail Refco clients lost any money. I could be wrong on this last point though.

#11     Nov 25, 2007
  2. Thanks for the clarification. Certainly there has been a lot of debate on here about which accounts at U.S. brokers would be protected in case of the sudden bankruptcy of the firm.

If, as you say, up to 500K is guaranteed by the U.S. government to be returned to IB account holders in case of fraud or other failures, then U.S. customers are actually doing better than Canadian customers, for whom the protection limit is 100K.

#12     Nov 25, 2007
  3. http://individuals.interactivebrokers.com/en/accounts/accountProtection.php?ib_entity=llc

#13     Nov 25, 2007
  4. Interesting... since I'm a skeptic, I wonder what 'periodically' means...

available cash will be swept from your futures account to your securities account periodically

This is helpful to me since I did not know that cash ever resided in my 'futures' account. I thought that when I wanted to establish a futures position, funds were taken from my 'cash' account.

#14     Nov 25, 2007
  5. akeyla

akeyla

This limit would apply to Penson Financial Services wouldn't it?

#15     Nov 25, 2007
  6. yes it applies to penson/ penson clears a ton of brokers. i'm so tired of worrying wether my brokers safe. its made me spread out my accounts among many brokers to keep under 100k cash. why the hell can't they just keep are money uninvested and pay us 0% interest. i'm sure we'd all give up a little interest money to have 100% safe money

#16     Nov 25, 2007
  7. I agree with you that we would give up a little interest to have 100% safe money BUT the difference between 0% and 4%+ is IMHO not a LITTLE interest.

On another note, you could sell some EFPs and get synthetic interest by buying the stock and shorting SSFs. at 50 cents a pop it seems that you can earn a higher rate and also be invested more fully.

#17     Nov 25, 2007
  8. I have no idea where that may be listed on the net. Try IB's website. Last time I read a ranking it was via Futures magazine. IB was way out front.

BTW, I do not believe futures traders at Refco lost funds. Those accounts were sold to another broker, which usually happens except when fraud is involved (ie stealing customer funds). The FX guys got nailed.

#18     Nov 26, 2007
  9. tyrant

tyrant

I am from Thailand. Am I entitled to the $500k protection offerred by US government? Does the 500k protection includes traders who trade futures and options but not stocks??

And, is it quite safe to have 100k with Interactive Brokers?

Thanks for any replies.

#19     Dec 24, 2007
  10. laputa

laputa

how about the account insurance? I think they have huge insurance like $25 million or something per account?

#20     Dec 24, 2007