How safe am I at IB?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by nravo, Mar 17, 2008.

1. BCE

BCE

Thanks guys for all your detailed explanations. That was very helpful. :)

#21     Mar 18, 2008
  2. I really don't believe IB has any liquidity problems, and I really believe IB regarding only limited directional trading.

Nevertheless, I still would like to know, does SIPC insurance cover for a company going under? I thought it only covers for things like employee embezzlement.

#22     Mar 18, 2008
  3. Is it that difficult to actually go to the SIPC website and read what SIPC covers and when the SIPC is even involved?

#23     Mar 18, 2008
  4. Thank you. The following is copied from their website:

What SIPC Covers... What it Does Not
    The cash and securities – such as stocks and bonds – held by a customer at a financially troubled brokerage firm are protected by SIPC.

Among the investments that are ineligible for SIPC protection are commodity futures contracts and currency, as well as investment contracts (such as limited partnerships) and fixed annuity contracts that are not registered with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission under the Securities Act of 1933.

It is important to recognize that SIPC does not work the same way as the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation in terms of blanket protection of losses. For more information click here

#24     Mar 18, 2008