How Sad: American 'Gas Tourists' Clogging Up Mexico's Roads

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ByLoSellHi, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Look how far we've fallen. I wonder what the average Mexican thinks.

I do not care if you are left, right, moderate or independent. We need a total rebuild of our political system.

Very sad. Begging for gas in Mexico. Never thought I'd see anything so pathetic in my life.

http://www.fox6.com/mostpopular/story.aspx?content_id=c6b5315f-6766-425f-98ac-27fb2ec4ee0f

U.S Drivers Adding Modified Fuel Tanks to Save Hundreds Filling Up in Mexico
    Contributor: FOX 6 News Staff
    Last Update: 6/28 9:18 pm

A San Diego company is doing brisk business selling and installing giant gas tanks for pickup-truck owners seeking to scoop up as much Mexican diesel per trip as possible.

And with Mexican diesel selling for $2.20 per gallon at government-subsidized Pemex stations in Baja California, motorists "want to get as much gas as they can'' when they go to Mexico, Express Performance Center co-owner Tim Abbas said.

The store is able to mount auxiliary gas tanks with as much as a 98-gallon capacity on some trucks. If filled in Tijuana, that monster tank will save the driver well over $200 per trip, even discounting the cost of driving and time it takes.

"It seems like people are panicking,'' Abbas said. Sales have gone from 11 last year to 13 just last month. The tank conversion costs $1,300 for a 75 gallon tank and $1,700 for a 98 gallon tank.

U.S. officials say the gas purchases are legal and untaxed, if the auxiliary tank is connected by fuel lines to the vehicle's engine, as opposed to isolated storage tanks, and if buying fuel is not the primary reason given by the driver for a trip across the line.

Increased diesel purchases by Californians, and by Baja residents choosing Mexican diesel over U.S. fuel, has caused a huge diesel shortage across northwestern Mexico. Some city buses in Tijuana and Ensenada have stopped running, and truckers are reporting days-long delays in getting fuel.

The average price of diesel is currently $4.97 in San Diego, according to the Utility Consumers' Action Network.
    San Diego Gas Prices Drop Slightly
    The average gallon of gas is selling for $4.603 in San Diego County, and that's comparatively-good news, the Automobile Club of Southern California said Saturday.

That's because the latest San Diego average is 1.6 cents a gallon less than last week, the first time that the price has dropped in seven weeks, the AAA affiliate said.

The gas price in Los Angeles County now averages $4.617 per gallon, down almost a penny a gallon from last week. The price in Orange County is $4.582, down 1.6 cents from last week, the Auto Club said.

And in the Inland Empire, the average gallon sells for $4.599 in Riverside and San Bernardino counties, down 1.3 cents over the last week.

"Around the country, gas prices are backing down very slowly,'' said Auto Club spokesman Jeffrey Spring. "Unfortunately, the pricing situation remains very volatile and there's no way to know whether this is the start of a true price decline or if it's just a plateau.''

In Las Vegas, where the gas formulation, taxes and market conditions aredifferent, a gallon sells for $4.273, the Auto Club says.

2. I'm sure most Mexicans think Americans are spoiled fucks.

How many minutes of labor does it cost an American to pay for $4 gas? ($18 an hour)

How many minutes of labor does it cost the average Mexican to pay for $2 gas? (around 200 pesos a day or $20 per day)

3. And those dumb ass Mexicans keep crossing the border by the millions. Don't they know how much they're saving on gas back home? Of course the price of gas doesn't mean much when your mode of transport is a mule. :eek:

4. Why have we fallen far when people smell a bargain? Do you think that $7 a gallon Europeans wouldn't cross the border if they could save big bucks?

Why do you think people join Costco or BJ's, to spend more or save more?

Is it wrong to search the web to save a couple hundred bucks off a computer or avoid sales tax?

If I could load 6 month's worth of gas into a tank and save $1000 for 6 hours work, I would do it. Saving money is tax free and can be a heckuva way to use an hour of your time.

How many people spend hours clipping coupons and save almost nothing? If you are going to save, save big!!!

5. Of course it happens every day. I go to Lux at least once a year. Petrol there is about 75 per liter vs France which is about 85 per.

I often wonder if Americans would trade $8 gas for health care.