How Retarded is the GOP?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by DemZad, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

I said he would have no effect on the outcome. I stand by that. I'm on the offer if you want to lift it.

#31     Nov 10, 2011
  2. Of course, you see the problem in using the word "mimicking".

The distinguishing feature about Paul is he has a lifetime voting record to back up his stated principles. He's not a Johnny-come-lately who is just trying to scrounge a few more votes by latching on to a recent theme.

That would be the standard to measure others against. It doesn't mean somebody can't flip once in office, even with a consistent history - but you would see it right away and he would not be in the office for long.

BTW - Maverick's point is that Paul supporters have always been Paul supporters so it's like they are not a factor in anyone else's run. Paul needs to draw voters from Romney and others, as well as Obama to win. If he draws only from Obama, he helps Romney. Otherwise it can have an offsetting affect.

#32     Nov 10, 2011
  3. Maybe I'm splitting hairs but the only way he could have absolutely no effect (tangible) would be to garner zero delegates and not run third party. Is that what you are suggesting?

#33     Nov 10, 2011
  4. I get that part but given the obvious media campaign against Paul, I tend to believe his support within the GOP is vastly understated.

There's the establishment position (that he is basically in third or fourth with no chance of winning), there's the RP Supporter's position (that he is the real front runner), and then theirs reality. Reality in this case is probably somewhere in the middle but if that's true, then we are dealing with a lot more voters jumping ship to a third party, should it go that route.

As for the rest, agreed.

#34     Nov 10, 2011
  5. Maverick74

Maverick74

No, I'm speaking about the outcome of the 2012 Presidential race. The debate here is whether Paul will steal votes away from Romney as a 3rd party candidate thereby giving Obama the election. I am telling you that there are no meaningful amount of Romney supporters who would vote for Paul as a 3rd party candidate. Therefore the whole argument is moot.

Let me put it this way. If Dennis Kucinich where to run as a 3rd party candidate, there are no Romney supporters who would switch their vote to Kucinich.

#35     Nov 10, 2011
  6. I totally get that. However, you seem convinced Romney will get the eventual nod and perhaps you are right; but this thing can still play out a lot of different ways. I wouldn't be surprised if the media continued to prop up Perry in spite of his Ronald Reagan moment last night...and I mean that was bad...it was Dr Paul who actually threw him a lifeline ironically enough. Newt's favor seems to be increasing and Cain may be Teflon in spite of his personal tailhook scandal(s).

Point is, Both Cain and Perry are tea party candidates and Dr Paul could easily steal votes away from them.

#36     Nov 10, 2011
  7. Maverick74

Maverick74

Do you trade? Do you watch intrade? He's 71 bid. Hit it dude.

[​IMG]

https://www.intrade.com/graphing/js...actId=652757&tradeURL=https://www.intrade.com

#37     Nov 10, 2011
  8. Maverick74

Maverick74

#38     Nov 10, 2011
  9. #39     Nov 10, 2011
  10. Maverick74

Maverick74

Ugh!!! Forget it man. I thought you were a free market guy. This is getting old. I deal with markets OK? I trade. This is how I communicate. There is a real market right there in front of us. Black and white. And you keep freaking going down this delegate road. I could give two shits about delegates. No where in this thread was I talking about delegates. Let me help you out here as it appears that you are having trouble reading these markets.

The current "free market" is offering you 3 to 1 odds to lay off Romney. And it's offering you 20 to 1 take Ron Paul. This is for the Republican primary. No Fox news. No MSNBC. No Alex Jones. No bullshit. Just a market with real money and real payouts. No conspiracies. So make a trade or don't. I'm just telling you that my "view" apparently is being back up by the "free market". Yours is NOT.

Now, if that bothers you, you can actually take the other side of the market and make some nice coin. I honestly don't care if you do or don't. I'm simply presenting the "facts" to you as they are laid about in front of you.

#40     Nov 10, 2011