How realistic is it to raise capital using your trading record from an IRA account?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Tall Mike, May 26, 2023.

1. Was just wondering, for those of you who were good enough to raise outside capital, how did you do it?

What's the best way to set it up from the beginning to build a track record? (i.e. account type, legal structure, etc.)

Does it matter what type of account your trading track record is generated from?

Can you use something like a 401(k) or Roth IRA account type to market your track record?

Thanks!

2. mervyn

mervyn

No, generally you need a professional track record.

murray t turtle and Tall Mike like this.
  3. MrMuppet

MrMuppet

bullshit....most people start out with family and friends money since regulation is not mandatory in this case in most jurisdictions.

After that : CTA license or similar.

@Tall Mike: I traded other peoples money on several occasion and I'm happy that I don't have to do it anymore. It's a different business that requires a skillset that is different from trading.

You only need a track record in the beginning...after that it doesn't matter anymore and everything is just sales and red tape

4. mervyn

mervyn

you are an idiot. Stop saying friends and family money, those are not professionally managed, they trusted you to give you play money. Sure if you have a sponsor or guarantor the GP obligations, it might get slightly easier.

longandshort likes this.
  5. MrMuppet

MrMuppet

what's the difference between managed and professionally managed? You either can handle OPM or you can't.

Now listen, monkey: If you have nothing to your name but skill, no ivy league degree, no sponsors or professional background, f&f is your only choice to build an OPM track record.

Do you really think you can open shop in the form of a registered entity, print some colorful leaflets that show your performance on a 20k IB account and collect 10m to start trading?

Wft is wrong with you? I generally respect the opinion of armchair traders but if you haven't ever traded professionally for a regulated entity, please stop talking nonsense

FTDK and longandshort like this.
  6. +1 to both of you lol. Yes for an average ETer, sorry but you're not going to raise capital through traditional routes. Raise it from friends and family, and try not to F up.

However, I don't think any "professional" would consider you legit unless you had a very defined process, primed with a well regarded broker, and could stand muster to cap intro.

Tall Mike likes this.
  7. mervyn

mervyn

if you don’t use foul language then I will let go.

If you paying cash for a landlord who just happens to own few adjacent cheap apartments, then it is not professionally managed. Same goes with asset managers.

btw, i went to ivy school with capital C.

8. MrMuppet

MrMuppet

so according to you I'm an idiot but you also berate me because of foul language?

Ivy shows XD

I don't care if you'll let go or not. Neither does anybody care about "professionally" managed or not. For you it's a matter of principle, for the rest only performance counts.

FTDK likes this.
  9. If you are confident you can make money, compound your own money first.

murray t turtle likes this.
  10. I know someone who did that - except that he didn't even have a performance record to show. Half a lifetime in the trading industry as a broker (salesman) and an expert hindsight technical analyst.

Great salesman, but a poor trader. I think he only have one winning month since inception a few years ago.

#10     May 27, 2023
    murray t turtle likes this.