How Realistic? $50k account, $500 / day

Discussion in 'Trading' started by AFChao, Jun 3, 2012.

1. We definitely need you guys to trading on !!!

#361     Aug 23, 2017
  2. jl1575

jl1575

you mean making 1% per day and 250% per year by trading stocks?

#362     Aug 23, 2017
  3. Checkout the comments, compounded it's even more than 250% annually. LOL

#363     Aug 23, 2017
  4. speedo

speedo

In Ocho Cinco's example it's less than 25% on leveraged capital for 5 futures contracts...not a big deal for an experienced and disciplined trader. Stocks don't offer enough leverage for that, possible but real tough.

#364     Aug 23, 2017
    El OchoCinco likes this.
  5. Sorry, I posted some Option Trades with gains exceeding ($500) instead of Futures, I have no idea how to trade Futures, just stocks and equity options! Those stock and option trades have no relevance to your question, good luck!

#365     Aug 23, 2017
  6. Yeah this can be handled easier with futures daytrading but cannot see being consistent enough to do this with options or stocks.

To be fair though, 1% a day starting out on $50,000 is $500 a day which is 1-2 handles on ES as an example. If you do this well and the account gets up to $75,000 then it is $750 a day and if you have a consistent system then you simply adjust contract size.

If you shoot for 1% a day and only trade 180 days a year (no signal days, vacation, life shit..) then $50,000 can turn into close to $300,000 compounded assuming you average 1% a day (more on some days, losses on others). Sounds unbelievable because most of the time you get in your own way to such a path.

The hurdle here is not making 1% a day, it is human error of sticking to your system, knowing how to ramp it up effectively and sticking within stop loss limits. This gets harder as the account gets bigger.

ES is a good thing to trade because it is liquid enough to allow you to ramp up as account hopefully grows. But like I said, the key is can you do this day in and day out for 180 days of the year with discipline and deal with days with no signals and sit on your hands or days where you get a hit of 3% and have to grind it back over time. that is really the key....

#366     Aug 23, 2017
    Sekiyo, Overnight and speedo like this.