How Realistic? $50k account, $500 / day

Discussion in 'Trading' started by AFChao, Jun 3, 2012.

1. This is too easy, LOL.

Many people with $50k, who go with a pro firm, can use $500k or more...much easier to make money with good, solid strategies, when you have access to more capital. Actually lower risk, higher reward in most cases.

Don

#21     Jun 3, 2012
  2. Right, so long as they've overcome the first hurdle, which is having a consistent positive expectancy strategy. Then, if you've either got a large account to trade or can trade with enough leverage, you can make $500/day average.

Still, you don't see a lot of traders making over $120K/year, regardless of account size. Again, I would guess that the number is less than 5% of all retail traders. I saw some data on this years ago, but can't find it. It kind of looked like you would expect, with a small percentage of traders accruing most of the gains there were to be had from day trading.

#22     Jun 3, 2012
  3. I wasn't worried about how much was in his account, I was worried about the amount he wants to make and how that stacks up relative to what we know about the distribution of day trader income. The IRS data I saw years ago showed that very few traders make an average of $500/day, regardless of the size of their account.

#23     Jun 3, 2012
  4. +100000

#24     Jun 3, 2012
  5. you sound like one of those prop traders who don't even know how much is in your account or what your ROI is.

#25     Jun 3, 2012
  6. bmatthews

bmatthews

To put this to bed.

Expecting to make $120,000 a year from a $50,000 is extremely optimistic to say the very least.

If you could make $5,000 year after year then you can count yourself skilled. If however you can generate a 1000% plus return each year then it wouldn't be 5 minutes before you are offered a $1,000,000,000 trading account to manage.

Don't fall for the hype that has been spewed in this thread by a certain few.

#26     Jun 3, 2012
  7. dealmaker

dealmaker

#27     Jun 3, 2012
  8. Don, does he sound like he is ready for a prop firm?

#28     Jun 3, 2012
  9. Interesting question, for sure.

I'm drawn to the saying "if you can't make it here, you can't make it anywhere" (yes, I know it's a juxtapostion from "can" to "can't" but you know what I'm getting at).

It's much harder to fight all the inherent obstacles of retail than to attempt success with a professional firm.

Don

#29     Jun 3, 2012
  10. i give up. im pretty sure this post has officially made me quite elitetrader. thanks everyone.

happy trading.

#30     Jun 3, 2012