How predictive is volume to index futures?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Susannah, Apr 25, 2008.

1. ehorn

ehorn

Hi Susannah,

My experience is the following:

Volume is a leading indicator of price.

Volume provides context as to where price is within a cycle or trend (Dominant or Non-Dominant movement), where it is going, and when it has reached its destination.

Volume can be seen prior to price movement and projects price volatility as well as price continuation and change.

#11     Apr 26, 2008
  2. Hi ehorn,

Can you expand on "Volume is a leading indicator of price. "

regards
    f9

#12     Apr 26, 2008
  3. rickf

rickf

I think what he's meaning -- correct me if I'm wrong -- is that if you start seeing increasing volume on a given direction, chances are that direction will continue until volume starts to fall -- and when volume starts to peter off, that gives you a few seconds' notice of either a pending reversal or pause before the next move in the same direction.

At least that's how I'm using volume and with fairly decent results on my charts.

#13     Apr 26, 2008
  4. Are you trading ES.

regards
    f9

#14     Apr 26, 2008
  5. I agree.

Big volume also kills moves. Climax blow-offs often lead to sideways action prior to continuation or reversal.

Often a huge volume bar tends to signal current over sold/over bought - hence, a reversal.

#15     Apr 26, 2008
  6. rickf

rickf

ES and ER2, yes.....but I daresay this applies to pretty much anything you trade -- but I'll leave it to those wiser than I to confirm that statement. :)

#16     Apr 26, 2008
  7. Great news that you are getting filled after you witness a volume move.

regards
    f9

#17     Apr 26, 2008
  8. Any market, any time frame - provided sufficient liquidity exists.

- Spydertrader

#18     Apr 26, 2008
  9. Learning how to read volume adds immesureably to a traders' success in the markets.
    • When markets are range-bound, volume tells you so.
    • When markets are breaking up or breaking down volume confirms this.
    • When markets are extremely bullish or extremely bearish volume always keeps you on the right side of the markets.
    Thanks for your post ehorn, good luck in your studies, susannah.

#19     Apr 26, 2008
  10. You couldn't be more correct. How can someone as smart as you Hog be such a flaming lib? :D

#20     Apr 26, 2008