How Powerful is the Subconscious Mind?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Flashboy, Jun 17, 2009.

1. I think that's one of the main lessons from the Market Wizards books. You really have to find several simple things, that work for you.

I've found my edge and I'm very proud of that. It's based on a few very simple concepts.

You're making a very good point here.

#71     Jul 1, 2009
  2. Eight

Eight

It's an overarching part of the human condition, trample the simple answers and go for complex ones that don't work, it's everywhere...

Well, guided imagery was great the first time then I tried it again and it turned into a nightmare, it's seeming to be like the Oiju Board in that respect, maybe I'll work on it or maybe I'll abandon it... I've known people that were absolutely spiritually oppressed and in conversation we were able to determine that it started with the Oiju Board... they had similar stories too, started off fun and turned real ugly real fast.. then again, the ugliness might be some dark spiritual force that just hates me and does not want me to be in touch with my real self... the ongoing struggle, wow... few achieve clarity of thought believe it or not...

#72     Jul 1, 2009
  3. It is very powerful. Its all depends what you are looking up to. And also science has recognize that we only use about 1% of our mind on the conscious level. In the review of some dream experts say that the subconscious mind operates our dreams..

#73     Jul 2, 2009
  4. 9Baller

9Baller

Flashboy…
    It sounds to me like you are conflicted…I have been there and it’s a bad place…The only way out is to resolve the conflict in your mind…if you are short term…then there isn’t anything more important than rigid execution…rigid within your tolerance…understand that the combination of poor execution combined with frequency is disastrous…if you add in a natural risk aversion to that mix…it’s impossible to make money…your own self protection mechanism kicks in…and your subconscious doesn’t care about logic…it wants to be safe…the only thing that worked for me was learning ZEN relaxation techniques to detach from outcomes…and to treat my execution as if my life depended on it…and what I mean is my trading life…we are all striving for a certain lifestyle…if you realize that cocktail (poor execution + frequency + risk aversion) is the certain death of a trading career…then focus on the only thing that you can…execution…treat your entries as if your trading life…the life that exists in your future that you desire so badly depends on it...because it does…same for your exits…even more so for exits…when you get the signal to take a profit...or bail…your out…no second guessing…you do it because that is what is required…

I would back up and take the next couple of days and go into the simulator and focus on rigid execution…you need to get your confidence back…you also have to learn to let go of outcomes…we have no control over an individual outcome but the series when executed properly is predictable…(as long as your method is viable)…do you have a method?…are you conflicted between time frames?…the problem with being highly intelligent is being able to see all the possibilities…this creates conflict and stress…
    you have to reduce stress because stress often produces impulsiveness…impulsiveness produces mistakes…mistakes produce losses…losses produce more stress more fear...more self doubt…the loss cycle…

A good book on Zen is “Zen and the Art of Poker” it relates to trading very well…you could also get a digital voice recorder make yourself some mp3 messages…to keep you on track…a little program called Alarm Wiz will play them at prescribed intervals…

Best of Luck

#74     Jul 2, 2009
  5. I agree. Although I'm not a poker player, I read this book a number of years ago on the advice of an acquaintance. Indeed, it relates very well to trading.

#75     Jul 2, 2009
  6. Interesting thread!

I'm more of the view that we often need to reprogram the conscious mental habits that are built into our trading.

I'm quite successful as a trader, making consistent profits. I fought hard to find my own edge. It relies on several simple concepts.

However, I really had to reprogram my "habit algorithm" to tailor it to the edge I've finally discovered. That was the hard part.

Well, it's working very well for me now, I'm happy I can stay positive. Positive thinking is very important.

BTW, the works of Michael Covel and Dr. Brett Steenbarber have really helped me along the way.

I'm also planning to buy two or three systems from Gilberto Rudiero. You should see his thread on intermarket analysis.

Well, in any event, I thought I'd share some of my thoughts with you guys. I have found my edge, one day you will too!

#76     Jul 2, 2009