How Powerful is the Subconscious Mind?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Flashboy, Jun 17, 2009.

1. xxxskier

xxxskier Guest

everyone has unconscious issues. from my what i can tell, everyone also responds differently to different approaches.

here is my story....

several years ago (15) i tried the shrink route, but got little out of it.

about 5 years i tried NLP and had some success, but it i found my self going back to my old ways after a while.

also around 5 years ago i tried EFT (emotion free therapy), it was interesting and helpful, but not necessarily for my trading.

about 3 yers ago i began mediating daily using this www.centerpointe.com the cons are that it is expensive and it requires a significant time comm. but, it has really helped me in my trading and in other areas. when you get to the 2nd or 3rd level after a year or so, you can record in your own voice specific affirmations ( i use a mix of some trading affirmations, and some general affirmations). the premise of the program is that the different sound tracks entrain your brain with brain waves conducive to deep rest, creativity, clarity, and acceptance..and with your brain in highly receptive state, listening to your own voice can be very powerful. my biggest problem in trading used to be difficulty taking a loss, but since i have been meditating regularly that is no longer an issue.

because all humans will always have some subconscious crap, i still have my issues, but nothing like the past. now that i have effectively, for the most part, dealt with the part of me that was getting in my own way, my current issues are general stress and exhaustion from watching so many things at once due to my style of trading ES (i have described elsewhere in ET). for stress i started using www.emwave.com for 5 min when i wake up and again right when i sit down at my desk. i also use it after a loss, or anytime during the day when i feel off center. i also use it in the evening, and have found it especially helpful before bed.

#31     Jun 18, 2009
  2. ehorn

ehorn

The hour does seem late and we appear to be sleepwalking into disasters with little regard for mitigation. I am saddened when I consider the impending damage to lives and livelihoods. :(

Where are priorities?... Where are preventative measures? Leadership?

#32     Jun 19, 2009
  3. jem

jem

jack I once made about trading to enforce policy but I see you have now incorporated the idea into your comedy routine.

Surely with your pool extraction technique you could take all the tarp money out of the market and force the fed into becoming capitalist again.

By the way the posters who said the subconscious mind is snake oil for snake oil salesmen are right... or, at least I sense something telling me I don't have a subconscious.

But, if you take my course I will teach you how to clear yourself and you will unleash your trading power within and have more powerful personal relationships.

Or, if you work with me you will discover our collective unconscious.

I will teach you how to forgive yourself

etc etc etc

In short it was all a way to sell religion without wearing a collar.

In short you have a choice believe in yourself or believe in God.

Then work your ass off to achieve your goals. (or work really really smart.)

#33     Jun 19, 2009
  4. Eight

Eight

The root of the problem is that we all believe lies that are whispered in our ears by evil itself when we are little... evil steals everything it can from us decades ahead of time, we are all on the learning curve and evil attacks us before we even get started learning almost, then we spend our lives on the learning curve as we undergo attack after attack... I pray all the time for everything ever stolen from me to be returned four times over, that was the Biblical proscription for theft in the old days... so far so good, great marriage, business is going well in good times or bad, not much feeling of loss going on here at all...

#34     Jun 19, 2009
  5. I was lucky enough to be initially coached by an old time body builder. He set the foundation of my training that I have carried throughout my whole life. To get to the point – I was able to overcome many beliefs that I had embedded in my mind such as my growth potential or strength levels.
    I can always draw upon this example for everything that I approach in life, it is never easy, but I know what hard work, failure and determination to persevere will bring. Those beliefs and perceived limits will never constrain me, we will never know our true strength or our limits.

Stop banging your head on the same wall, you know what the outcome will be.

You obviously have the skill and edge and you have proven to yourself that you can make those gains.

If you can challenge your own limits and fears outside of trading you will be able to draw upon that, create that positive momentum in your outside activities and then draw upon and transfer them to your trading.

Every step I take in my trading, every improvement I make only reinforces my goals, I only get closer, my goals become more clear, I am already there, every small detail is clear there is no doubt, I have been able to overcome all of them.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.

Arnold Schwarzenegger

#35     Jun 21, 2009
  6. liujs

liujs

Is Arnie really your trainer? I think its important to play to your advantage. Think first carefully what you are good at and plan how you can leverage on these strengths.

The way some of us trade, myself included once upon a time, 80 trades a day, sticking to the screen 24/7 and leveraging up when winning and losing it all back later. That is almost gambling.

I spent countless hours back testing etc. At the end of the day I realized that it is just all about playing to your strengths and really doing your planning.

I wrote this on my blog. some time ago.

Offers a different perspective.
    http://finance4traders.blogspot.com/2009/06/5-things-you-need-to-know-when-creating.html

#36     Jun 21, 2009
  7. Did somebody mention snake oil ?

#37     Jun 21, 2009
  8. Redneck

Redneck

Big caveat – I am NOT recommending anyone else do what I’m about to post… but I’ll report back the results (good, bad or indifferent) if anyone is curious

Stevesbg & Xxxskier

I read your respective post in this thread – and as I’m always looking for things to help me grow/ improve – I thought what the heck I’m going to give em a try…..

So I ordered the Creative Choice in Hypnosis book and Centerpointe’s Thresholds of the Mind – this weekend

I should get them this coming Tuesday and start digging into the material then

And - We shall see what happens….

To reiterate – I am not advocating anyone else do this just because – If your curious give me a bit of time and I’ll tell you what I think

fwiw - I believe the subconscious is most powerful - It is what drives each of us to do whatever it is we do - or don't do - in life...

I also believe it is the "default" behavioral patterns we revert to in times of strife or stress

RN

#38     Jun 21, 2009
  9. Thats fine, a less expensive way to go is to get a library card and start a systematic search through the available literature for concepts that work for you.

Best of luck to you

#39     Jun 21, 2009
  10. Redneck

Redneck

No worries Sir - as Lord knows I already have shelves of books (mostly technical) that are of no benefit – so adding a couple of more to the collection ain’t a big deal

As for research in a library – I just don’t have the time or inclination - research is not one of my stronger traits

I’ll take these – follow their course of action – and see where it leads

Take Care

eta - In my initial post I should have also added "Uncertainty" (which as we know - is the very essence of trading) to strife and stress

#40     Jun 22, 2009