How on EARTH free AV could possibly be better than NAV and McAfee?

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by Daal, Jun 6, 2006.

1. You may not have a full understanding of the business plan of some "free" anti-virus firms. AVG free is the same AV used by major companies around the world. Before making yourself look less than intelligent, you may want to really understand how these companies do business.

#11     Jun 6, 2006
  2. I think AVG and TrendMicro are solid companies...more than just a few nerds sitting around a computer.

Do you know how to do research? These companies give away free stuff to individual users, and make a lot of money elsewhere. You really should not be allowed to start threads.

#12     Jun 6, 2006
  3. Well, BitDefender beats all of them.

But whoever uses that Norton Antivirus trash deserves to get infected.

McAfee, I like their firewall, but everything else is trash.

BitDefender and McAfee Personal Firewall plus and a hardware firewall will do the trick.

#13     Jun 6, 2006
  4. BSAM

BSAM

A few hunnert??? When I dumped Norton, I paid $29.99 for eTrust antivirus. Like Gnome said, I wouldn't use Norton again if they were giving it away.

#14     Jun 6, 2006
  5. Daal

Daal

OMG WTF LOL LOL
    http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2006_02.php

#15     Jun 6, 2006
  6. AC3

AC3

All I know is from my experience .. Used "House Call" from Trend Micro after being a loyal Norton user for several years and found several viruses on my computer. Now that I use AVG I haven't found 1 ......

#16     Jun 6, 2006

7. The answer is simple. Virus producers test their viruses on the market leading products before release if they are "good." That means Norton (who are for some reason hated in that community) and McAfee type products. If you're off the mainstream your product has a better chance of not having been checked.

Its also wrong to assume that a free product doesn't have a group of competent professionals behind it.

AntiVir is free for private use and also rather good.

#17     Jun 6, 2006
  8. I use AVG and am quite happy with it. I just ordered a new computer and was planning to try the free ZoneAlarm firewall software on it when it arrives. Why do you not like ZoneAlarm and what are the glitches? Please advise.

#18     Jun 6, 2006
  9. Holy shit...he's right. I did just that. Uninstalled Norton's and installed AVG - 3 trojans.

Now maybe AVG considers them Trojans and Norton's didn't. I dunno, but I thought that was a joke until I did it myself. Will install AVG on all my machines now.

#19     Jun 6, 2006
  10. Daal

Daal

HOLY FK, you mean zone alarm free?LOL, might as well buy a hat saying 'hack me, free money, my ip is '
    http://www.firewallleaktester.com/tests.php

#20     Jun 6, 2006