How on EARTH free AV could possibly be better than NAV and McAfee?

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by Daal, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Daal

Daal

How a group of few nerds sitting around on their computers and getting a few bucks through paypal and eating pork chops all day would be able to produce better, more advanced software and faster updates than a full team of well paid(compared to the nerds anyway) and organized professionals?
    I'm tired of all 'avg owns nav' bs. If you got hundreds of thounsands on the line it IS worth spending a few hundred and not rationalizing that free shyt is better.

2. gnome

gnome

My ISP recommended AVG... said they've used it for years with no problems. I've been using it for the last 2 years after having given up on NAV and ZoneAlarm because of all their glitches.

3. Rossored

Rossored

forget NAV, it's junk - same goes for McAfee imo.

NOD32 is by far the best AV solution out there, bar none.

NAV is just a big piece of crappily written code that slows down a machine and misses viruses anyway. I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

4. gnome

gnome

Have to agree about NAV. If I could get it for free, I wouldn't use it.

5. Daal

Daal

And your argument would be?(I expect to be more than a few cursewords and a I hate bush rant). And security always is priority over performance, for me anyway

6. gnome

gnome

Argument against Norton? Caused too many problems. I used it for 5 years and it always worked pretty well with minimal problems. Then about 2004, I had lots of system troubles which were cured when I uninstalled Norton, that's all.

7. maxpi

maxpi

A few nerds sitting around with computers is one of the best scenarios for getting high quality software actually, especially if they have PhD's in programming. That is much, much preferable to the "throw lots of people at it" approach.

8. lwlee

lwlee

A lot of bored programmers doing what the boss says, doesn't equate to great software. Boss wants 100+ gimmicky features, programmer says sure whatever boss wants, as long as I go home at 5PM.

9. AC3

AC3

If you want to see how bad of a program NAV is just uninstall it and do a system scan with AVG .......Dont be surprised to find several viruses and trojans running.... See for yourself its a free test.

10. Agreed.

Do people forget these "nerds" ?............

Would you have invested in their venture?

[​IMG]

#10     Jun 6, 2006