How Old?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by youngtrader, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Thanks for the replies everyone. Feel free to post on the journal anytime. I have been in talks with some contacts I have in chicago and they are trying to get me a job with a few firms there but said that if I wait until im graduated from high school and then come down to chicago they will not have a problem getting me a job at a good prop firm. That will probably be my plan. Thanks again for all the help and replies.

#11     Dec 10, 2007
  2. haaa the sweet life of expensive clubs, restaurants and cars await you.

and when youre old enough, expensive champagne too!

#12     Dec 10, 2007
  3. and drawdowns =D

lucky kid, parents supporting him grrr

/gluck

#13     Dec 10, 2007
  4. lol yeah but im more of a beer man to be honest (must be the country in me).

My parents are supportive because my dad does it for a living. The rest of my family hates it. Take my grandparents for instance. They think I will not amount to anything and be a gambler all my life lol! Same with most of my aunts and uncles. Oh well. Are any of your family supportive of what you guys do?

#14     Dec 10, 2007
  5. hoo yes my parents are completely interested in what i do, im their golden retirement!

your family should see you as a genius if you can survive the gladiator ring so young.

#15     Dec 10, 2007
  6. lol well hell good for your parents. If I had a successful trader as a son I would just sit back and enjoy the ride. Maybe spend a little more time hunting and fishing!

Not nearly as genius as you might think. I have a 3.0 gpa in high school and am going to probably end up at iowa state with a normal econ major like any other joe out there. I hold a lot more street smarts than book smarts....just like my dad. Thats why I know in order for me to make it in this business I have to make it alone because the big firms want the harvard grads with phds in math and comp science....or so im told.

#16     Dec 10, 2007
  7. why not ask your dad if you can summer intern somewhere
    ( let him cover the cost of your food and lodging )

with his money and contacts he has made over the yrs it shoulf not be too hard ... unless he really does not want you to follow in his footsteps ... and that is not such a bad thing to consider ( i.e.
    other ways ( apart from trading ) to make a difference in the world in 10 , 20, 30 etc years from now as you approach middle age ) besides sitting behind a screen all day watching your P+L

good luck ... you have had a head start it seems

#17     Dec 10, 2007
  8. Im 18 aswell I started trading at 15 on an account my parents sat up for me. I blew that account out and from then on they have hated me for trading.

They claim "its not honest money." I have never had a job and as of 2 months ago I have paid for my college all from trading. They can hate all they want

#18     Dec 10, 2007
  9. oh believe me I have tried but he refuses to let me. He knows that im a go getter and that when I finally graduate I will be gone for good so he wants to keep me at home for as long as he can.

We own a seat on the MGEX and I wanted to work there during the summer as a clerk or something and then when I was 18 get on a trading smock and start trading in the pit. We have multiple contacts in chicago and I am basically all set up for a job but he wont let me leave and live on my own until I graduate (sucks!!!). Thats why I was wondering about trading remote.

#19     Dec 10, 2007
  10. you know what ... your pop is smart !

you might not believe me but not everyone needs to start
    trading in their teens and become a rich man and make the top traders under 30 yr old list in order to be happy in life

perhaps you can try to cut back your trading
    and concentrate on making good grades and
    getting into a good college and trying to intern
    at a top tier investment firm with some well defined skills
    heck ... how is your math and computer background ?

there is a young kid ( ok ... maybe in his 30's )
    running the show somewhere in europe for a top tier
    investment bank who started out as a programmer
    if he continues to do well there and make the firm money
    he will for sure make more money than most traders ever will
    ( recent bloomberg magazine article on this kid )

#20     Dec 10, 2007