How often do u change your system?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by capitalMan, May 5, 2004.

1. interesting.

looks like everyone is pretty much the same, most start work only when things don't look good.

but I have never had a system that fail on me. I think I am just lucky, but my systems are quite stable, I have system that have give me 3 yrs of good performance. I would say that Most of the time, it's not the system, but the market that is influencing your results. if volailtity dries up and the market goes into a complete standstill, even holy grail will not make you any money, (not including market-making systems).

my next question is do u come up a idea first b4 writing code or do u just sit in front of the computer and just work on the data?

#11     May 5, 2004
  2. Never................but..... sometimes I don't trade it and every so often I lose discipline and trade against it. That usually results in a lesson on why I should stick with my system. :D

#12     May 5, 2004
  3. funky

funky

depends on what your system is, and how stable it is.

LESS STABLE
    - one market, one strategy
    - one market, multiple strategies
    - multiple markets, one strategy
    - multiple markets, multiple strategies
    MORE STABLE

you get the picture...anyways, the less stable your system is, the more watching and tweaking you probably need to do. for me, i have used my programming skills to automate many different strategies/markets. in a way, THAT is an edge unto itself. it is a hedge against ignorance. i'm usually a bit late in noticing when certain edges have fizzled out (i'm a bit lazy sometimes), but i KNOW that i'm lazy, and therefore i have programmed that into my system. :D

:cool:

#13     May 6, 2004
  4. lmao - Way to go funky....cover all the bases. :cool:

#14     May 6, 2004
  5. when it stops working for christ sake..

what kind of question is this?? :confused:

i aint changing nothing 3 months 3 years or 30 years till i start taking enuf hits that i wake up one day say hey smthg is wrong i think ...

??????????????????????

Q's like these tend to baffle me..

#15     May 6, 2004