How my shrink gave me trading advice

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Eliitetrader, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Wow, great advice. However, American's especially are so enamored with titles and careers....no wonder why the first question at a cocktail party is always "So what do you do for a living ?"
    I remember meeting one wise-ass and here's what he said:
    "As little as possible". And then he walked away.
    I guess that was better than "None of your business".

#21     Dec 22, 2007
  2. maxpi

maxpi

My shrink got tired of hearing about my trading woes, how I was backtesting systems forever and none worked in realtime, how my job interfered with the trading day... he finally told me to go succeed at trading and get it out of the way... in a way he empowered me but I think he was just annoyed with me..

#22     Dec 22, 2007
  3. YOU should be a freakin shrink, your words are true to the bone :)

#23     Dec 22, 2007
  4. Razor, you sound sharp but you are not correct. My shrink should have said, quit trading because it is not working for you

NOT

quit trading because it is impossible to do, there is a difference

#24     Dec 22, 2007
  5. It's actually a tough call IMO- he obviously felt that you were somewhat unstable. Maybe he thought that if he would've told you that it wasn't working for you, you would've taken that personally, like you weren't good enough to succeed at it, and made your condition even worse. Maybe by telling you that it is impossible, you shouldn't feel so bad for failing because no one can succeed. Just a possibility.

#25     Dec 22, 2007
  6. first off I can't believe this simple thread turned into deep analysis, you guys are such little analysts aren't you :)

to chime in, if you are correct that it was a sound strategy of my shrink for ultimately betterment of me

he was still wrong to use it, because I always knew success with day trading was possible, I knew that from day one, I got hooked by meeting a successful day trader

#26     Dec 22, 2007
  7. you know what just occurred to me, spy agencies like CIA should post their intel on ET for analysis

since that is all people do here, analyze things till cows come home :D

#27     Dec 22, 2007
  8. Oh, they already do. Since you are brand new here you probably havent had a chance to browse the site yet.

#28     Dec 22, 2007
  9. LOL :D

#29     Dec 22, 2007
  10. Your shrink did not speak with the perfection that you wanted. We don't want to hear a lot of things, but it does seep in and have a positive result.

Maybe your shrink intentionally said that it is impossible for anyone to trade so that it would inspire you to prove him wrong, whether you are conscious of it or not.

You were aware at the time that there were successful long term traders, that it could be possible for anyone to be successful.

If he had said what you wanted, to quit trading because it is not working for you, maybe you would have believed that, that YOU were not capable.

Anyway, you have succeeded. Put your success and energy into something positive.

#30     Dec 22, 2007