How much would you need if there is a collapse

Discussion in 'Economics' started by morganist, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Larson

Larson Guest

Lol. That should read the gov't would "attempt" to usher in despotism. This ain't China or the USSR, skeeter. Some areas of the US will do fine. The rest of the sychophants will just have to rot.

#41     Aug 16, 2010
  2. I think disease and suicide will be rampant.

#42     Aug 16, 2010
  3. Bob111

Bob111

under impression about 2012 on damn history channel i was actually thinking to spend some money on guns..just in case..and more travel for family before this messed up date..
    anyway-any recommendations on guns? rifles,shotguns,pistols? good place to buy? prices? manufacturers? buy online or locally? my knowledge is pretty much zero in this area..

Thank you!

#43     Aug 18, 2010
  4. morganist

morganist Guest

Everyone will tell you the AK47 it is robust.

If you want a rifle a model 700.

If you want a pistol glock 17 or 26.

If you want a urban weapon mp5.

#44     Aug 18, 2010
  5. toc

toc

few acres of land...................back to the basics :D

#45     Aug 18, 2010
  6. Guns- Revolver is idiot proof. S and W model 686 shoots 7 rounds .357 or .38 very good gun. Remington or Mossberg pump action 12 gauge, once you rack a round they run. Idiot proof too don't even have to aim just put barrel over target area. Very nice Semi auto pistol is Sig Sauer P226, Glock is very reliable too I just don't like to shoot polymer guns they are less accurate. Beretta 9M is a great gun if you have a big hand. If you get a semi auto pistol get the high cap mags. Go to range rent some guns and see what you like. Don't be cheap on guns they can save your life. Don't get exotic caliber because if SHTF you may want to pick up someone's 9mm round and use them in your gun. .40 cal stay away to exotic but very accurate.

http://www.gun-review.com/

I bought the S & W 686 because it is idiot proof. My wife could shoot if she had. It shoots .357 or .38 and it shoots 7 rounds, one more than normal revolver. 357 rounds will drop anyone. One problem with some semi auto pistol is they jam if you get limp wrist or elbow, a problem for some women. But one fired most of them are single action which means faster fire and more accurate, pros and cons. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_&_Wesson_Model_686

#46     Aug 18, 2010
  7. I never owned guns in my life until this year. I hope to never have to use them, but reading about the Argentine collapse convinced me that it is a good idea to be prepared. 2 police officers recommended that I purchase a 12 guage shot gun for home self-defense. One of the most popular models (and the one I own) is the Remington 870 express. Mossberg is also a good quality gun with similar features. There is quite a kick to a 12 guage shotgun, so if you are small, a 20 guage shot gun carries about 60% of the power with much less recoil. My concealed carry instructor does not recommend a rifle for self-defense, however, he says it is his most requested class. People seem to love their assault rifles.

As far as handguns, I personally recommend a 9 mm Glock 17. However, for a novice, there is a lot to be said for purchasing a revolver.

Go to your local gun shop (I like Cabelas) so you can handle different guns and/or go to a local firing range to try shooting various guns before you purchase one. You will get a different opinion from everyone you talk to about what type of handgun to purchase. However, if you shoot a few of them, the choice will become clearer.

Take classes to get educated on how to care for and use your guns. Also buy plenty of ammunition. If things deteriorate to the point where it is necessary to protect yourself, ammo will be expensive and difficult to find.

#47     Aug 18, 2010
  8. Gun ownership all for it. Private citizens owning assault rifles no way. Have I shot a few. Yes AR15 and SKS. Those bullets will go through so many walls made out of drywall, it has been tested, I would not want to kill my neighbors accidentally. Besides as Dr. Pepper mentioned Argentina collapse you can't carry one of those on the street.

The shotgun is idot proof, but women can't always rack a new round under pressure. You have to realize most gunfights occur within 7 feet. Just don't buy some POS Taurus or something like that.

#48     Aug 18, 2010
  9. You must have insurance that fits the expected need.
    Ideally you can store, invest or use the things for emergencies.

Regardless of ones location these are the minimums: [More becomes an investment or barter item]

Water:
    30-50 Gallons of stored clean water. [10 Gal Per Fam member]
    Access to water, either direct, filtration or power purified.

Food:
    90 Days per family Member.
    Sprouts are smart and store small and can produce planting crops. http://www.wheatgrasskits.com/seed.htm
    Sprout machine with LED grow lights and power production.
    Learn to garden now. Learn to can Now. Plant year round ... Garlic in Winter. Crops in Summer. Overbuy seed.
    Food cooking and prep equipment.
    Root cellar. [Keeps carrots, potatoes, Beets, Garlic and Onions fresh.]

Protection:
    Pistol w/200 rounds [Must have holster]
    Semi-auto Rifle w/200 rounds [Short range to beyond yelling distance range]
    Shotgun w/100 rounds

Motion Sensor Alarms
    Large Dog
    Motion Sensor Lights
    High power LED Flashlights

Stun Gun
    Pepper Spray

Safe where you are or where you plan to set camp
    Make friends with local farmers that will need protection
    Buy brown eggs from them to start relationship

Transportation:
    Truck with good 6-8 ply tires and ability to haul you, family and ass.
    Some fuel storage for rig and generator.

Energy:
    AGM Battery bank [For energy overstock]
    Inverter
    Small efficient Generator w/fuel
    Power generation via solar, wind or hydro
    Energy units will be the new money, so build your bank now.

Health provisioning products:
    Vitamins and Mineral and herbal or healing property items from intestinal cleansers to colloidal silver and beyond. Preventative meds. A "Real" first aid kit preferably with Chitosan for massive tissue trauma.

Communication:
    Short Wave
    Police Radio
    Ham or CB
    There is a lot that can be done here and it depends on if you have a group you are connected to.

Get all dental work done right now. Do not delay.

After filling out these areas then expand to other things like low power use entertainment. Low power use LED TV with DVD player and lots of DVD titles. Heck ... you can get potassium iodate and clinoptilolite for nuclear fallout even. Everything from chainsaws to bribe or Barter items like Cigars, Cigarettes, Coffee, Drugs ???

Get in shape, learn to survive situations. Argentina 99'
    http://www.silverbearcafe.com/private/10.08/tshtf1.html

#49     Aug 19, 2010
  10. The best gun is the one you are willing to have on you.

Hence I suggest a J-Frame S&W .38 Special.
    The gun is the size of a mans wallet.
    Get the normal hammer.

Regular blued steel is fine.
    An ultralight model is somewhat better.

Taurus makes a nice model of this handgun also.

CTC Laser Grips are also a nice addition.
    You grab gun and a red dot points to where the bullet will go.
    [Can increase the sense of control in dangerous situations]

Use Corbon +P+ Ammo and this thing packs a punch.

Use Galco Leather [Small of Back] model and it is very comfortable to wear all day long. [Or a paddle holster]

Speed loaders are a bonus.

If you don't get the laser grips get grips to fit your hand.

If you a large brute ... then get a 4" Taurus 41 Mag that is the ultralight ported model ... or the new Springfield .45 XD [Gun of the Year]

#50     Aug 19, 2010