How much would you need if there is a collapse

Discussion in 'Economics' started by morganist, Aug 13, 2010.

1. The issue is that any number of natural and unnatural disasters could disrupt the infrastructure for a sufficient number of days that none of what you said makes a difference. The resulting civil disorder is what people like the posters here worry about. You know, those morally bankrupt entitled types you mentioned?

#21     Aug 14, 2010
  2. achilles28

achilles28

I'd err on the side of caution. Heirloom seeds, livestock, greenhouses, natural aquifers, stockpile pharmaceuticals, medical equipment, defibrillators, first-aid kits, guns, ammo, precious metals, clothing, boots, socks, crank-powered radios, fishing net/hooks/line/rods, buried fuel tanks, electrical generator(s), freezers/fridges, candles, storable food, dogs.

Best to organize with like-minded survivalists - safety in numbers. Remote areas are great. Outside the Country, best.

#22     Aug 14, 2010
  3. you need energy and water. portable generators have no use if there's no fuel; hence i would buy a lot of solar panels and batteries to store the energy.

with energy, you can grow your own food and purify water for drinking. you also need weapons and ammo to protect your solar panels.

#23     Aug 14, 2010
  4. There is a quite good solution for water purification (needs no electricity, chemistry, complex apparel and so on).

You'll find many links to it, here is one:
    http://ultralighter.blogspot.com/2009/01/so-dis-is-weightless-water-treatment.html

In short:
    Take transparent plastic bottles.
    Put any kind of water in it.
    Place it horizontally on a surface.
    Leave it in the sun for > 6 hours.
    Ready to drink.

The UV radiation kills most dangerous agents in the water.

You may also google for Aftim Acra who discovered the purification procedure.

The procedure is not so well known because it costs nothing and therefore nobody can make money of it.
    It's evidence based though.

#24     Aug 14, 2010
  5. Explore home hydrogen generation...Stan Meyer's system uses any water, even polluted, and generates it with low amperage. Many videos on YouTube.

#25     Aug 14, 2010
  6. LEAPup

LEAPup

Guess all of the Marine Corps training I went through, and taught will be my best asset if we collapse.

Hope it doesn't happen, but am prepared if it does.

Has anyone tried to buy ammo recently? WOW!!!!!!!!:eek:

Btw, nice list nutmeg

#26     Aug 14, 2010
  7. If there is enough gas and infrastructure to allow large numbers of people to "travel south", then there hasn't been a collapse.

#27     Aug 14, 2010
  8. I wonder how the human race survived 100 years ago before electricity. And how did they grow their own food without energy? Puzzling.

#28     Aug 14, 2010
  9. morganist

morganist Guest

This assumes we will react the rational way. We might be irrational due to our emotions. I find it difficult to believe we will be selfish with our resources. A lot of us would share so this has to be taken into consideration do you help others or not if you help you have to choose how. What would you do.

#29     Aug 14, 2010
  10. redwraith

redwraith

That's assuming a "Mad Max" total societal breakdown environment. Not saying that it wouldn't be wise to have weapons and fighting skills, but jeez, there's gonna be those moments that you're gonna want to buy things, not take by force. You'll use gold and silver to buy those things that you don't have an equal barter item for.

#30     Aug 14, 2010