How much training is required before you can make consistent profits?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by ADX_trader, Nov 12, 2002.

1. TSaimoto

TSaimoto Guest

What's a training for trading???

Never heard of being able to train... well yeah Turtles but I don't believe in it...

#21     Nov 12, 2002
  2. It took me about 2 years and over $100K down the drain before I learned to be consistently profitable. But even then, consistent profits these days only average about $2-4K per month my end. Some months, I've been flat. Two years ago, I used to trade over 3 million shares per month. Now, I trade around half a million shares a month. You have to be very selective and highly disciplined in this market to be profitable. If the trading day looks choppy and non-trending, keep your activity light. If it's a strong trending day then put the pedal to the metal and be aggressive but smart.

#22     Nov 12, 2002
  3. only 2-4 K/month on HALF MILLION SHARES??!!! what the f%$K are you doing??? sca;oin for 1/10 penny??:eek:

#23     Nov 12, 2002
  4. Nope. Been getting my butt kicked by MSFT, QLGC and other volatile stocks. I've been making good money for my prop firm in commissions, though. Please note that half a million shares per month translates to about 25K shares a day which is pretty light for an active daytrader with a lot size of 500-2000 shares.

#24     Nov 12, 2002
  5. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

The best thing you can do is cut down on the frequency of your trades.....gee that is way too many for a HVT! I do 4-12, professionals do 25 or so. And only one or two stocks a day....
    It will cut down on your costs if you trade futures if you like size.

#25     Nov 12, 2002
  6. Nobody is any better than their last trade!

#26     Nov 12, 2002
  7. acrary

acrary

I had two months of training at a investment bank. The third month, I traded, lost money... and got kicked off the desk. The fourth month I papertraded profitably. The fifth month I returned to the desk and was profitable for each of the next 40 months.

#27     Nov 12, 2002
  8. On the other hand, I view trading as a business. I have to if I want to make a steady income in this tough occupation. If I want to play games, I have a Playstation 2 and an XBOX.

#28     Nov 13, 2002