How much time do you spend trading ?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by booyah, Aug 9, 2007.

1. lol atticus, I see you're here too. :D

#31     Aug 15, 2007
  2. The CL, Euro, Bp, and the Yen futures are very liquid early in the morning, so I would definitely recommend a part time trader to master those futures.

Trading is hard enough, one should not be concerned with other peoples notion of ideal style or time spent at the screen.

GC

#32     Aug 15, 2007
  3. ER9

ER9

if you work in a casual setting and can get away with it get a laptop with a wireless connecton and trade the markets all day :D worked for me.

#33     Aug 15, 2007
  4. andread

andread

And how long have you been doing this? Any performance improvement lately?
    After a while I would expect people to slow down.

#34     Aug 16, 2007
  5. Ever traded the russel?

#35     Sep 6, 2007
  6. EXACTLY, gotta love the amateurs trying to do this part-time. Sure, you might have some gains, but you're too green to realize that danger is everywhere.

This is an art and the more time you spend on it the better. Think of it like surgery, there are no part-time surgeons because if there were, there'd be patients dying everywhere. Your account is your patient, don't let it die.

#36     Sep 6, 2007
  7. Thats where I am now.. snazzy coffee shop.

#37     Sep 26, 2007
  8. Agyar

Agyar

Gotta love the "pros" telling everyone else that the way they do things is wrong. You and Mr. Hershey are like two peas in a pod.

As I get older, I spend less and less time staring at the computer working on trades, and the growth of my accounts continues to accelerate. I am down to 1-5 hours per week, depending on how many position changes I need to do. My system is getting simpler as I get older too, as I remove the rubbish and focus in on what really works. The smart man learns something every day, the wise man forgets something every day.

Labels mean nothing to me at this point, so feel free to label me an amateur.

In answer to the original post, of course it is possible to be successful with a limited time investment per day, but when you start out there will be lots of research and lots of testing of what works and what doesn't. Once you get over the "hump" (if you get over the hump), the road you seek will hopefully open before you.

Staying on that road will be your next challenge, but that is a different post.

#38     Sep 26, 2007
  9. johngo

johngo

Yep, an amatuer I am all right. I love to trade in my amateur style, which is scoring an easy 2 points in the ER2 in the first 30 minutes of the day (on typically) 3 contracts. Win rate, 80%, stop 1.2 points. Then I am done.

Is this the monster bucks? No.

Does it give me time to laugh with my 2 kid, go kayaking and climbing, and work in my garden, while helping my family financially? Yes.

"Success" can come in many flavors, and not all of them are measured by the length of your yacht.

In prosperity,
    Johngo

#39     Sep 28, 2007
  10. LMAO! The "Pro" has spoken. :p

#40     Sep 28, 2007