How much taxes do you pay for Daytrading?

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by GotherL, Jun 12, 2018.

1. ET180

ET180

You mean the UK doesn't have an idiot tax? So they tax investing which actually provides a service to the economy, but not gambling? That's messed up.

#51     Jun 16, 2018
  2. ET180

ET180

Wow, that's terrible. So say you buy a put spread on a stock that tanks. To do that, you buy a higher strike put and sell a lower strike put to cap your gains, but reduce your cost. The trade doesn't necessarily have to be put on all at once. One could leg into it so it's two separate trades. Assume that the underlying goes to 0 before option expiration. So the put option purchased would have a relatively large gain and the put option sold would have a relatively large loss. You're saying that the govt. effectively ignores the leg that lost and only taxes the one that gains? That doesn't make sense as the tax would likely be much greater than the gain. I don't see how would could hedge at all with that tax structure.

#52     Jun 16, 2018
  3. schweiz

schweiz

They also drive on the left side of tne road. It is a very strange country.

#53     Jun 16, 2018
  4. ET180

ET180

I drove through the country a few years ago on a European tour. Was unimpressed and have no desire to go back to Belgium. I did like Switzerland though.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.37b75ad04114

I've been watching the headlines for the first European country to propose euthanizing old people once they hit a certain age in order to promote equality and reduce healthcare expenses...ya know...so that everyone gets free healthcare. I mean, it's not really fair that some people make it to 90 while others only make it to 70. Sounds like an injustice!

#54     Jun 16, 2018
  5. speedo

speedo

:D

#55     Jun 16, 2018
  6. Millionaire

Millionaire

Thats not completely true.
    Spread bet firms hand over betting duty to the tax man, which is taken from the bid ask spread they charge you.
    True, the punter does not pay tax on any profits.
    But your profits are less because the spread bet firms mostly charge a slightly wider spread and if not a wider spread then definitely more slippage in fast markets compared to the underlying.
    That money taken from your trading gets handed to the tax man in the form of betting duty and even more in the way of corporation tax.
    The tax man and government realise they get more tax this way as most spread betters lose money.
    This way they get to tax both the winners and the losers.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    #56     Jun 16, 2018
  7. I pay 0.00 on tax, only pay commission fee. It's about total a US dollar per contract in and out. For example, One rebar future contract value is about $6,000, and you will have minimum $650 to open one contract. Unfortunately, I'm barely make any money. :D

#57     Jun 18, 2018
  8. Esha.J

Esha.J

Every Video we see on YouTube is not 100% true, so do not trust the video or any content until you really sure about it.

#58     Jun 25, 2018