How much taxes do you pay for Daytrading?

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by GotherL, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Handle123

Handle123

Data fees, make sure you get CME/CBOT as you want keep eyes on Meats/Grains, equipmenet, build yourself one hell of an office in your barn overseeing fishing pond you put in stock with trout that you charge by the inch over weekends for the "gamesmen" and their kids. LOL The office is part of the barn and depreciated with the farm on structures. The commissions and fees are taken off the trades usually, I don't know if they still have brokers where you pay a lump sum for futures then fees, never sounded right and I never did it. You can build a 3 hole golf course, not open on Tuesday/Wednesdays(for you) and open course other days. Do need some moola for course.

Yes, Big bend fun. Austin is BOOMING as it is new silicon valley and State capitol so have to expect it.

#41     Jun 13, 2018
    beginner66 and elitenapper like this.
  2. Yes, In Canada, you pay income tax on Day Trading. That's why day trading is generally not a good idea. Not only do you have to beat buy and hold (which generates an average of 7-8% a year), but you have to beat buy and hold by a lot to make up for the tax disadvantage.

#42     Jun 14, 2018
  3. schweiz

schweiz

Day trading is only a bad idea if you are not good in it. If you are good in it is even a very good idea. Even with a 50% taxation it is a piece of cake to beat the 7-8% a year of the buy and holders.

#43     Jun 14, 2018
  4. zdreg

zdreg

your calculation is inconclusive because it does not include income that you could receive from an alternative job +the buy and hold increment ,

#44     Jun 14, 2018
  5. speedo

speedo

Don't forget the University of Texas and vibrant music scene..re Austin.

#45     Jun 14, 2018
  6. schweiz

schweiz

Wrong, in the timezone where I live I can have a full time job and daytrade. I don't have to give up a job to trade. Besides returns are a multiple higher then the 14-18% I should make.
    As you don't have any idea about my daytrading income you can't even make any sensible calculation.
    I don't need a job as full time trading makes enough money. Even after deducting an average yearly salary from my trading profits I still beat buy and hold hands down.

#46     Jun 14, 2018
  7. Handle123

Handle123

And the Bar-B-Que

#47     Jun 14, 2018
    beginner66 and speedo like this.
  8. speedo

speedo

And the Mexican food and Barton Springs etc etc.....gotten pretty congested tho, plenty of great places to live in the Hill Country.

#48     Jun 14, 2018
    Handle123 likes this.
  9. zdreg

zdreg

true, but holding down 2 jobs changes the parameters.

#49     Jun 14, 2018
  10. schweiz

schweiz

No, because I have no job, just full time trader.So your statement is wrong for my personal situation.

Your assumptions are only true for those who don't make enough money in daytrading. But you think that everybody is in that case. What you suggest is that NOBODY can make enough. On which ground?
    Theoretically you can make more with daytrading included the lost of potential income from a job, or you can make less.

#50     Jun 14, 2018