How much taxes do you pay for Daytrading?

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by GotherL, Jun 12, 2018.

1. p0box4

p0box4

This is if you are self employed business owner.
    Not sure what the taxes are for people trading besides their day job.

#21     Jun 13, 2018
  2. Do you have a take on whether the Dutch box 3 taxation applies to active traders?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_tax_in_the_Netherlands

If that is the case, I imagine every serious active trader from Belgium would relocate to the Netherlands.

#22     Jun 13, 2018
  3. p0box4

p0box4

You get taxed in box 3 if you are doing "normal asset management".
    There is no law stating when your transaction will be seen as normal asset management or actively trading (same as in Belgium), but assuming we are speaking about day trading, you will be most likely taxed in box 1.

#23     Jun 13, 2018
    Maverick2608 likes this.
  4. schweiz

schweiz

Correct.

No it is 30% for 2017 profits if you are trading personally (not company).

Ask your accountant if he can put that on paper and also that he will pay any amounts above the 30% that you might be charged (including social security). I think he will not sign that. I left Belgium and I know why...

#24     Jun 13, 2018
  5. p0box4

p0box4

25.75% + 3% crisis contribution if i remember correctly.

The % i am talking about is exclusive other taxes like social contribution, income taxes, ...
    This is purely the taxes you pay on the profits of the transactions before you pay yourself anything. You pay social contribution based on the salary you pay to yourself as the business owner, not based on the profits you made.

#25     Jun 13, 2018
  6. schweiz

schweiz

I agree with you. You need a fiscal ruling to be sure. I know Belgians who moved to Netherlands and were forced to start a company to avoid personal taxation. So their daytrading activities were refused for box3 and were considered as "business activities".

#26     Jun 13, 2018
    Maverick2608 likes this.
  7. I am sorry if I make the presumptuous assumption that you now live in Switzerland.

Surely, the zero capital gains rate in Switzerland does not apply to active trading. Otherwise we would all live in Switzerland.

However, if you happen to know the tax rates in Switzerland, how much is it effectively all included on active trading income of say USD 500.000 per annum?

Thank you.

#27     Jun 13, 2018
  8. schweiz

schweiz

There are people on ET that left Switzerland because of high taxation. So not a good choice.
    I don't live in Switzerland.
    I asked information all over Europe to find something that fits my needs. Not only taxation.

#28     Jun 13, 2018
    Maverick2608 likes this.
  9. Read. Thank you for your answer.

#29     Jun 13, 2018
  10. In Sweden active trading income is not taxed as business income nor as regular income irrespective of the volume or frequency of trading.

Sweden has introduced the “investeringssparkonto” which is taxed at around 0.5% of total assets irrespective of profits.

Long stock positions and selective derivatives are allowed. Short profits and other derivative profits are taxed at the regular capital gains tax of 30%.

This makes Sweden extremely attractive for the long side of active trading.

The only problem is as of now no descent broker has adopted the “investeringssparkonto.”

I hope Interactive Brokers will do that one day. Or maybe Lynx could be convinced? As I understand it, Lynx is simply offering the Interactive Brokers platform and pricing, so their competitive advantage could be e.g. to offer the “investeringssparkonto."

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    #30     Jun 13, 2018