how much stress are we taking in as traders?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by bat1, Nov 12, 2010.

1. bat1

bat1

has anyone done any research on this subject of

Stress as a trader?

I'm in and out of trades with an average of $200K everyday

I'm sure this could be slowly killing me

hope I don't get a heart attack by age 50

So how do you handle and release this stress?

2. I've read various authors - Ruth Roosevelt, Adrienne Toghraie, Ari Kiev, etc...

There is no systematic assessment of how damaging being undercapitalized, or heavily reliant on trading as a direct source of income can be for traders. All they offer is advice, but a trader has to implement their own strategy to succeed. Toghraie and Roosevelt have decent books and tools to help with this.

It wasn't til I became self-employed in another field for a few years that I realized what job stress can do to you, given the economy. Once you get past that stress, in order to survive it definitely encourages focusing on a sane business plan, because without it, any trader is cannon fodder.

For this, I think starting with compartmentalizing trades works best. I.E - Bread and butter trades, followed by small niche speculative trade as an "experiment" maybe be required to grow and develop as a trader. But too much random trading can churn the account. Being adequately capitalized and have risk control is extremely important. Having several sources of trading feedback, whether it be the advice of another trader, or multiple trading systems helps remove reliance on one strategy and releases the stresses of having everything in one basket. (it also reduces correlation)

Bread and butter trades are a lot harder than they sound, because Markets change. A pro trader would have multiple levels of assessment for his trades - time for them to execute and watch, risk - reward, and liquidity. This may not always be easy to measure. That introduces stress. Also, long runs / drawdowns in both systematic and discretionary trading are taxing on ones psychology and bank account.

3. bat1

bat1

(It wasn't til I became self-employed in another field for a few years that I realized what job stress can do to you, given the economy. Once you get past that stress, in order to survive it definitely encourages focusing on a sane business plan, because without it, any trader is cannon fodder.)

I do my trading just on hunch!

my Batting average is about 6 good trades to 4 bad trades

my bad trades are just dumb things I keep doing
    over and over again..

I need to get a plan together

and find a mentor who can look over my trades and give advice

perhaps ....