How much should one make to prove himself a good daytrader?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by worthytwo, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Say a trader makes $250K for two years then blows up while another trader chugs along at $110K a year, year in and year out. Who's the better trader? A lot depends on whether your results are attributed to randomness or skill (we like to believe it's skill don't we?).

#11     Apr 13, 2007
  2. gnome

gnome

The market will fling a quiver of arrows at you many times in your career. If you do a good job of minimizing their impact, AND you quit trading with a pile of dough, then you were a good trader.

Until then, it's undecided.

#12     Apr 13, 2007
  3. For a good trader, the ADAPTATION is built in to the system. Thus, no reason to even focus on changing markets... no reason to change based on market conditions, nor the market in which they are trading.

A robust system must be good enough to perform across all markets and under all market conditions with the same parameters. Else, you don't have a true/lasting edge.

#13     Apr 13, 2007
  4. Trust me, if you can't take at least a million from the market "day" trading, then there is no point in staring at the screens all day long. There are other better things to do with less hassle.

#14     Apr 13, 2007
  5. umm.. how the hell did they get $24 million to start off with? They must've been a hot shot trader once.

It doesn't matter: if someone can earn 20 times the average of the average household income, then they are a SUPERSTAR in my book... daytrade or NO trade.

#15     Apr 13, 2007
  6. I agree with the majority of your points with on exception. A method that works well in a directional or trending market with not work well in a chop/range bound market. If you have a method that work in both it is leaving alot of $$$ on the table in a trending/directional market. A good trader would strike a balance would you not agree? :cool:

#16     Apr 13, 2007
  7. Well..

Just because a man is old, does not necessarily mean that he is wise...

I think we need to capture the essence of what trading is...sure the money is the benchmark...but to measure talent, may require an open mind...

#17     Apr 13, 2007
  8. Couldn't have said it better myself. :D

#18     Apr 13, 2007
  9. There is no talent without money Electric. Thus, we must measure money, not talent.

#19     Apr 13, 2007
  10. Well,

Yes...

Question: If a trader was at Heavens gate or hellfires...(you choose) and he reviewed his life...would his pluses of 10 million minus the losses of 5 million...make him a better or worse trader than say....the guy next to him with 8 million minus 3 million?

ES

#20     Apr 13, 2007