How much should an NBA power forward bench?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AAAintheBeltway, Jun 20, 2003.

1. From yesterday's Washing Times concerning Georgetown monster man Mike Sweetney:

Most mock drafts have the 6-foot-8, 260-pound Sweetney as one of the top 16 players chosen. On Tuesday, Seattle SuperSonics general manager Rick Sund and CEO Wally Walker watched Sweetney in a private workout at McDonough Arena.
    The Sonics have the 12th and 14th overall picks in the June 26 draft and need a power forward and point guard. Sonics scout Bill Langloh, a former Virginia star, attended virtually every one of Georgetown's games this past season. No other NBA team, including the Washington Wizards, has more knowledge of Sweetney's game than the Sonics.
    "Our scouts have seen him and they like him," Sund told the Tacoma News-Tribune. "He's a player who goes to the free throw line a ton."
    ... .
    Last week Sweetney, who grew up in Oxon Hill, flew to Chicago and completed three days of physical tests consisting of strength and agility drills. A leaked confidential report indicated that Sweetney could bench press 185 pounds only three times and that his agility was near the bottom of the other big men tested.
    ... .

He benched 185 three times? He weighs 260 pounds and he could only bench 185 three times? Soccer players can do that much. If true, how significant is this? Will he be another guy who dominated smaller guys in college but gets abused in the NBA?

2. ElCubano

ElCubano

I would say at that weight ( 260lbs ) 3 plates on each side would be on the low side ......... but then again this isnt football....peace

3. I think it's a typo....I think it's 285 and een that is low for a 260Lb man....Im 225 6"3 and I bench close to 275 now....185 would mean he cannot do a single push up....

4. I don't think it was a typo. The article went on to speculate about the reasons and suggested he hadn't been working out.

5. How much should an NBA power forward bench?

He should be able to bench press Shaq's weight.

6. bronks

bronks

What's with the bench pressing obsession on this board lately. B-ball requires fluidity, which goes out the window the heavier the dumbells get.

Many top boxers limit their weight training or shun it all together. Benching makes you strong, but it doesn't necessarily make you an athlete.

7. TJ Ford from Texas couldn't do it once and he's dropping in many scout's books.

8. There are definitely some big men who are not too powerful yet get the job done, but all things being equal the stronger guy has a big advantage. Look at Kenyon Martin. I bet he can do 15 reps easy at 185. The amazing thing about Sweetney is that he was a total inside force at Georgetown, yet apparently he is relatively weak.

The takeaway on this is that it will hurt Sweetney's prospects. Still, if I'm a GM I may be thinking, how dominating can this guy be after a couple of years on an intensive weight program, with or without the juice.

9. Damn man, NFL linemen would have trouble with that.

10. that's old school.....that ( along with not drinking water during a fight) was dispelled by Evander Hollyfield..also, the NBA has changed dramatically...they all pump iron now and are more fluid then ever before....Look at the arms of T-Mac...they are huge, yet he is one of the most fluid players

#10     Jun 23, 2003