How much should a "good" trader earn?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Cutten, Nov 14, 2003.

1. AllenZ

AllenZ

OK will admit i did not write it clearly as I would have liked. I am saying that after taxes and retirement saving eat up 50-60% of your gross there are other things we have as traders that many dont have as wage earners.

Wage earners are not growing a business for the most part. I try to grow my account at least 20% a year or better after expenses and such. I wanted only to say that someone making 50k a year and spending it all (after taxes ) is not doing that.

I was simply comparing the lifestyle of a trader building a business and a working stiff spending their money.

Kind of silly I guess after I looked at it, sometime things sound better in your head than they appear on paper. LOL.

I just know that I make more money than most of my friends yet we live the same lifestyle because of what I am trying to accomplish.

AllenZ

#71     Nov 26, 2003
  2. Cutten

Cutten

Excellent post.

I think part of it is because people get used to the money so quickly. If you've made 400k for 3 years in a row, then 150k would feel like a failure, even though objectively it's a very nice income.

#72     Nov 27, 2003
  3. This is why numbers and dollars do not correlate.

Choose to think in numbers.

Meanings from just a few of the important words below take on a new meaning, make them your own:
    • velocity
    • time
    • waves

Michael B.

#73     Nov 27, 2003
  4. Vienna

Vienna

Question 1: How much DO the top traders make? I know someone who sat on a desk next to Marty Schwartz (of the book "Pit bull"). Marty made between 2 and 5 million dollars per year over more than 20 years, trading his own account.

Question 2: How much do you want to risk? Marty put on routinely positions of 200 ES without blinking an eye. A base rule is that for every dollar you risk per trade, you can make $100 per year if you know what you are doing. So if you want to make 1 Million per year, you need to risk 10 k per trade.
    What does that mean? Assuming that you do not risk more than 3% of your equity per trade (quite high), you need about a $300 k accoount to make one million dollars per year. This, in my experience, is quite doable even with a larger account. Of course there is a limit somewhere: Marty did not go on to make a billion a year. But then, why would you need to?

#74     Nov 27, 2003

5. Amen, but its the price we pay. I have a friend who just bought a real nice brand new house in Tulsa for $189,000. For that price in San Diego, if I am lucky I can get a 30 year old 475 sq. ft. studio in a "decent" neighborhood.
    But when taking into account Tulsa and San Diego...its a no brainer. We just need to make more money.

#75     Nov 27, 2003