How much risk capital should one use in a single trade?

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by OddTrader, Sep 14, 2010.

1. =================
    Otrader;
    I see you used the ''confused ''[:confused: ]illustration-
    keep trading like you can ''predict '' & the market will clear up that confusion in a way you do not like:D LOL

Also it depends on one's age;
    younger you are the more risk they blindly/sunglasses take.....:cool: Wisdom is profitable to direct.:)

#11     Sep 25, 2010
  2. If you hAve inside info and the trade is a sure thing you need to bet 100% of your net worth

#12     Sep 25, 2010
  3. .0% :p

#13     Sep 25, 2010
  4. 0% is optimal for most traders.

#14     Sep 26, 2010
  5. This guy brings new meaning to the term "optimal f" ... perhaps he can teach us about "optimal wtf"!

#15     Sep 26, 2010
  6. The principle of a money management stop being separate to a hard stop is a good one.

#16     Sep 26, 2010
  7. RobertG

RobertG

it seems that before you ask someone how much to risk, you should work on your methodology. At this point, it seems that you have none. Learn to back test a methodology, where you could see what is the risk. I am not trying to be rude, but it seems that you have have "an opinion" that you are trying to capitalize on, and this is the wrong place to ask people about it because its a traders forum. If you have a strong opinion, then risk what you can live with and would keep your marriage alive LOL

#17     Sep 26, 2010
  8. LOL
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antithesis

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=2964410#post2964410

#18     Sep 26, 2010
  9. RobertG

RobertG

assigned at a loss? Run Forest Run....The stop loss what already hit..

#19     Sep 26, 2010
  10. Instead of saying a certain percentage, I'll use the baseball analogy....

Go for base hits, it's steady, base hit after base hit. You'll get to home plate in a very measured, safe way.

Everyone likes home runs! Home runs are exciting and even sexy, but they are few and far between and many end up striking out.

I believe Confucius said the same thing as a child... :)

#20     Sep 27, 2010