How much Ramm?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by newguy1, Aug 9, 2005.

1. newguy1

newguy1

thanks for the videos. I didn't see the topgun video, but i saw the market delta one.

Again, you can see that the mouse is
    lagging. For someone who scalps for a penny, thats a little annoying....not because of the mouse itself, but that indicates that the whole thing is lagging, so I'll probably miss a number here or there either in l2, ob, or time and sales.

Perhaps the people at Market delta should have tried to have better technology. Or is this really as good as it gets? A lagging mouse? If thats the way my screen performed just on a regular basis, with a slightly lagging mouse, i'd be a little upset.

Is that as good as it gets?

#41     Aug 13, 2005
  2. Hi newguy1,

Your posts are starting to confuse me about your purpose of doing live-recordings.

The videos your seeing at those trader websites are presentation videos that were most likely edited from an original and much larger live-recording.

Videos produced by traders and not by some video expert that has the latest version of Macromedia and/or Camtasia.

Are you trying to do presentations and don't want any lag to show in your presentations ???

However, if you just want to do live-recordings of your trading day...

There will not be any lag as long as your not editing and editing and doing such via a non-professional editing software for distribution (presentation) for some website.

Lets put it this way...get a live-recording software.

They have free trials and it won't cost you a single penny.

Do a live-recording for one day.

Play it back to see if any info is missing.

Then edit the live-recording and save it in a different format for viewing over the internet and tell us what you see.

Also...I have an old computer that my spouse use sometimes...

The live-recordings views on that look like crap in compare to the live-recordings viewed on my newer systems.

That tells me the the viewer system of the live-recordings has impact on the quality seen by that viewer.

Your internet speed also has impact.

For example...go look at one of those live-recordings at MarketDelta or RealityTrader via a 56k modem :D

You'll see a huge difference in watching video over the internet via a 56k modem in comparison to cable, dsl or whatever.

Once again...the stuff you've seen at those sites are presentation videos that have been edited and probably re-edited again to get produced...

Produced by a trader with no professional background in presentation productions.

I myself have done lots of live-recordings (trading and personal stuff of my family).

My trading live-recordings look like the real thing occurring as long as I don't edit it and then view the edited version.

My personal stuff (family)...the quality of the presentation is dependent upon the type of editing software and the final resolution setting I used along with the final setting for internet use.

For example...when I send my mom a 2min .avi file of something my 2 year old toddler was doing...

I have to edit the video just so she can view it over a 56k modem (she doesn't have cable internet) and the quality looks like the stuff at some of the trader websites.

However, whenever I send my brother a .avi file of the toddler...I send an unedited version (the orignal) and he sees no lag or loss of quality because he's using cable internet along with having a computer that's adequate enough for viewing the file.

Once again...do a test run and make your own live-recording and then play it back.

Watch it and see if there's any lag.

Also, go to Macromedia website and look at some of their videos...

http://www.macromedia.com

You will see expert produced presentations.

Too bad most trader websites aren't willing to invest in that type of presentation producing software.

I've only seen one trader website that had professional quality video but I can't remember the name.

By the way...Camtasia Studio is free for 30days.

http://www.techsmith.com

Check out one of their video presentations they made...

http://www.techsmith.com/videos/studio/CS3/overview/cs_home.html

Do you see any difference in the video quality at Camtasia in comparison to the video quality at those trader websites ???

I can on my new computers but the quality of that video sucks on my old computer...

In fact, on my old computer...the video stalls a few times and I see a drag or trail in his hand movement along with the audio (guy speaking) is blurred.

On my new laptops...the video looks very professonal, clear and no lag.

NihabaAshi

#42     Aug 14, 2005
  3. newguy1

newguy1

thanks a bunch!

that really cleared things up for me.

All I know is that running camtasia on a pentium 4 with 256 mb is bad for recording.

You may have already mentioned this, but what are the specs like on the computer you use to record with?

I'll make sure I get something that is on par with that.

#43     Aug 14, 2005
  4. As NihabaAshi said (links added),

newguy1, this RAM thread needs to be split into a new, separate thread - titled something like,
    Trading Day Live-Recordings, Presentation Videos, and Screenshots, with you also as thread-starter.

Check your PM box. Both well-contributed topics here deserve a life of their own.

#44     Aug 14, 2005
  5. 4Gb

#45     Aug 17, 2005
  6. newguy1

newguy1

wow, thats quite a bit

#46     Aug 17, 2005
  7. Actually 4Gb is not a lot, it's 512MB

#47     Aug 17, 2005
  8. newguy1

newguy1

i'm a little confused

#48     Aug 17, 2005
  9. 8 bits (b) = 1 Byte (B) joke

#49     Aug 17, 2005
  10. 512MB x 8 = 4096Mb = 4Gb, so either he mistyped or as I assume winter was saying, he was joking.

#50     Aug 18, 2005