How much Ramm?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by newguy1, Aug 9, 2005.

1. The old problem wasn't with the L2 itself really, increasing the amount of cache had no effect on this problem, it was the way the cache and the chipset were designed to work together (tag RAM). With the Pentium 1 and the old Triton/similar chipsets they would cache only 64MB, with the Pentium Pro, they would cache up to 4GB, with the Pentium 2, they would cache up to 512MB. Since then these limites were removed from the north bridges as engineers realized the usage of 4GB to be fairly common, so in other words almost all modern chips (AMD64, EMT64, P4, Athlon XP) will cache the entire 32-bit/4GB range. Now, I don't really know how much is cacheable by the 64-bit standards, but I think what is important is to realize that it is far more than anyone needs to worry about (4GB+); as Winter stated.

All in all, I would suggest that considering the unlikely event that the average trader (most of us) would require much less than 4GB, I suppose arguing about it isn't worth any of our efforts. I think 2GB should be enough for virtually any individual workstation at this point, 1GB hasn't yet disappointed me.

#31     Aug 11, 2005
  2. I don't even use the 64b yet, but I intend to if it's even worth while in this box. My near future processing and memory caching requirements will be fairly extreme on standard, and w/ that in mind, I try to understand how to squeeze out as much runtime efficiency as is available, including code patterns (still learning). I'm currently working with 3G ram w/3.6Ghz cpu. This'll be the main workhorse in my little network. Anyway, I appreciate you having commented, thanks.

#32     Aug 11, 2005
  3. Moreagr

Moreagr

i got 1 gig ramm in my box and my software still runs slow :confused: i dont know if this is a comp problem or shiitty trading software.. I have over 300 MB left over too :confused:

#33     Aug 11, 2005
  4. BTW, in addition to gnome, winter, FuturesTrader71, and others, NihabaAshi is another poster who provides practical info.

What are the pertinent specs of your system on which the live trading recordings are made? What recording software?

Besides the recording computer HD, and your website, are recorded files also stored on a portable HD for later use?

Thanks.

#34     Aug 12, 2005
  5. newguy1

newguy1

i'm interested in what people's recordings look like.

I went to realitytrader.com to check out their free sample videos of vad trading live. I thought it was nice content, but the play back/recording was awful. You can tell that everything is delayed....the mouse lags, and there is at least a 1 second lag between when he clicks a button and it actually be executed.

Is this what people's recordings look like? If so, it doesn't look like that nice; the recording doesn't play back/look like its done in real time.

Now do you think he could have improved the quality of the recordings if he had better technology...or is this really as good as it gets? If so, i'm not going to even bother trying to buy a new omputer to record.

#35     Aug 12, 2005
  6. My live-recording don't lag and I use Camtasia.

Why are you measuring live-recordings to RealtityTrader.com ???

Are you saying they are using the same recording software that you plan to purchase ???

If so...what program are they using ???

It's possible that whatever those guys is using (software)...the lag or sluggishness that you see could be a reflection of inadequate hardware for live-recordings or maybe the editing is poor from the original recording that may be of much better quality.

Most likely the latter above.

Besides...some live-recordings on the market have free trials...

Why not just try one and play it back to determine if its suitable for you.

NihabaAshi

#36     Aug 13, 2005
  7. Hi NYSEProTrader,

I first begin my live-recordings (years ago) via a program called Lotus Screencam.

I don't believe its available anymore and it didn't work beyond Windows 98 operating system.

However, for the past few years I've been using Camtasia and I like it a lot.

http://www.techsmith.com

You can do a search on google or something about my computers...

* Compaq R4000

* Acer Ferrari 4005WLMi

* I have a custom built desktop that's very similar to the Micro Express MicroFlex 35B...built for $400 less.

I won't bother to mention my two other desktops I'm about to give away to my spouse grandfather so that he can take his current desktop and give it a proper burial.

His old desktop that barely meet the requirements to run Windows 95.

One major difference in my custom built desktop is that it has a Plextor PX 708a DVD recorder.

Yes...recorded files are stored on HD but only temporarily until I save them to DVD.

NihabaAshi

#37     Aug 13, 2005
  8. Thank you, again; you've really gotten the most out of your computers like most good traders do.

Looking to finally purchase a new desktop or laptop that can easily handle Camtasia,
    in addition to trading capabilities outside of the office...

#38     Aug 13, 2005
  9. omniscient

omniscient Guest

ng1 -

you might want to look at some of the videos at:

http://www.topgunsoftware.com/videotraining.html

the http://www.topgunsoftware.com/video/training020205.avi video is pretty entertaining - he goes a few rounds with YHOO after a gap up :D

and:

http://www.marketdelta.com/recordings.aspx

TGS used Camtasia, but i don't know what MD used to record their videos.

hth

take care -

omni

#39     Aug 13, 2005
  10. Comparing these videos to RealityTrader.com videos...

It's obvious that the .wmv (windows media player) or .avi (real player) videos are far superior to RealtityTrader.com videos that look like they've been edited from another video or using that .swf format which can show a lot of lag after any editing process.

Someone recently ask me what I was looking for or what was the purpose of my live-recordings...here's the reply I gave them:
    -------------------

I use the live-recordings for the following:

* To develop a feel "intuition" for the price action at key turning points (changes in supply/demand) and then compare that to my actual trading plan that has strict rules (criteria) for a valid pattern signal.

This allows me to make adjustments (if needed) to my trading plan by being able to traverse that "intuition" into actual criteria(s).

More importantly, it keeps the subjectivity in my trading at the minimum (under control).

* I want to see (in replay) how I was using my charts and broker platform (my trade executions are all recorded) to determine if there's any trading problems that were directly related to the use of my trading desk workspace.

Example...a month ago...I discovered I only needed to watch the crude eminy regardless if I was going to place a trade in it or in crude (CL).

Thus, I was able to keep my CL chart minimized behind the crude eminy chart and start watching another trading instrument (T-Note ZN) without having to minimize it (ZN no longer minimized).

Essentially I'm able to trade two similar markets via only watching one of their charts (efficient workspace utilization).

* I want to see how I was reacting to key turning points as they were occurring via reviewing the activity (movement) of my mouse arrow across the screen and via listening to my audio recordings during those key turning points.

The more mouse activity I see during key turning points...I can determine how prepared to trade I was and/or that I was actively looking for trade signals as such was occurring instead of long after the fact (chasing price).

Less activity implies the market was doing something important and I didn't have to ability to tune into it.

However, I do not use it for any tape reading analysis nor trying to get hints to market direction via market depth analysis eventhough I know others that use live-recordings for such...

Such is ok but not a component of my trade methodology eventhough the Times & Sales is clearly visable in my live-recordings along with Bid/Ask info.

* I often print out an intraday chart and annotate it where trade signals occurred that I did not take for whatever reason.

(I don't do this for my actual trades because those are time stamp in my printed broker statement).

I then use those charts as reference points (price action times) into where such occurred in the live-recordings.

Saves a lot of time in reviewing of my live-recordings that are usually greater than 500mb per trading day...which can be done anywhere via a laptop (no longer fixated to the location of my desktop).

NihabaAshi

#40     Aug 13, 2005