How much profit makes daytrading worth it (as your only job)?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by deadreader, Aug 21, 2003.

1. How much ANNUAL profit makes daytrading, as an only job, worth it?

2. I know some guys working at Mickey D's on the overnite shift, and they daytrade during the day. Works out good for them because they have a steady income and they can still daytrde all day. For them its not the money but the freedom. :-/

3. Dustin

Dustin

I estimate the most I could make in a real "job", then subtract $10k for lack of commute/eating out/stress etc. That's my target every year.

4. newtoet

newtoet

Hmmmm. Maybe it is just me, but I don't equate "freedom" with having to work the overnite shift at McDonalds.

Not to mention you could make MUCH more bartending or waiting tables, and get better (off-market) hours.

5. Dustin, are you implying that trading is less stressful than having a 'real job'?

6. Depends on how good you are :D

-FastTrader

7. everyone has a different opportunity cost. if you are highly educated and are capable of earning 100k+ plus as a salary you need a lot more profit to justify trading than someone who is retired or has low paid skills.

8. If trading is stressful then you're not doing it right.

..I will never again take part in the rat race that plagues the daily lives of most americans. That's my motivation.......

9. I question if anyone who thinks this way can make it. Either it's in your blood or it's not.

10. exactly. the only bs i have to put up with is what i create. plus i'm not making someone else money but making it for myself.

#10     Aug 21, 2003