How much processing power does it really take for a trading machine?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chaosclarity, Sep 13, 2011.

1. jokepie

jokepie

its mostly the OS requirements and softwares that we suse drive the computer config, one of those will change in near future requiring better cpu/ram ...also, internet tech (IE/JAVA etc) will be updated with OS and just matter of time your machine _ WHICH IS good enuf to trade using old OS and software will seem slow- on newer OS and trading software.

then what do u do ??? so invest in a future looking manner.
    keep scalability (slots/ bus speeds/ MB ports) in mind and you will have a rig that will outlast the next upgrade cycle.

No machine can be FIT for a prd. of over 6 yrs... just moores law...

#11     Sep 14, 2011
  2. fhl

fhl

What about some of the older generation cpu's that have a relatively high passmark rating? I've wondered if they are just gerryrigged to look good on the tests or what the deal is on them. Are they just as good as the new generation chips or what's the downside with them.

Anybody weigh in?

#12     Sep 15, 2011
  3. this might help-

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/processor-architecture-benchmark,2974.html

#13     Sep 15, 2011
  4. These guys are "hobbyists" they enjoy trying to get more performance bang out of their hardware, it's fun you should get on board. (i count myself among them) Learn a lot in the process!

#14     Sep 15, 2011
  5. true, true and true, however.......as chaosclarity says:

"Why isnt a $500 box or laptop with something like an I3 processor"

who needs a new box or a new power supply, dvd/rw, etc..... not i. upgradiing to state of the art intel chip and motherboard would cost me just that, $500.

#15     Sep 15, 2011
  6. john33

john33

Well this way if you're poor trader you can still brag about how fast your computer is.
    :D

#16     Sep 15, 2011
  7. #17     Sep 15, 2011